Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Bob Bolton

Bob Bolton - Dec 8, 2006 2:26 am - Voted 10/10

Protecting the guilty?

Nicely done Vern. And I finally get to see your photos. They're terrific!

I noticed that you didn't put in a link to my profile page, so I supposed you were allowing me to decide whether or not I wanted to be identified as the injured party.

Happily I was back out hiking (gingerly) in only a couple of weeks, and back to pretty much full strength by the time of my October climb of Boundary Peak. Getting old really sucks!

T Sharp

T Sharp - Dec 8, 2006 3:35 am - Voted 10/10

Holy Sh*t

Boy you guys were really put to the test! Way to hang in there though. Great trip report and stunning pictures.
Cheers;
Tim














Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Dec 8, 2006 11:00 pm - Voted 10/10

I Know the Story

But it is nicely told here in your usual eloquent style. Thanks for posting and well done in salvaging the situation.

Michael Hoyt

Michael Hoyt - Dec 9, 2006 1:54 am - Voted 10/10

Absolutely

Engaging.

Such times allow you to discover your "real" friends.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Dec 9, 2006 2:20 am - Voted 10/10

Wow!

Powerful tale, and beautifully written, Vernon. The narration has a dreamlike quality to much of it, and that fits perfectly with your eloquently worded descriptions of your memories of those days. This is both inspiring and humbling, and I hope everyone reads this. It could happen to anyone.

I'm glad you all made it safely and without lasting harm, and it is great to see that you have also maintained a sense of humor about it, easier to do since it was a happy ending.

Thank you for sharing this.

Bob

Dean

Dean - Dec 9, 2006 2:16 pm - Voted 10/10

Great story

It was Bob who got me back into mountaineering and I have also had the opportunity to hike with Duane. Both of these guys are so very knowledgeable when it comes to backcountry situations and I learned the value of a GPS from Bob when I thought all you ever needed was just a map and a compass. I hiked with Bob, not long after he suffered that injury and the guy still outhiked me. Amazing. Thanks for sharing your adventure and the pics are
a great addition to the telling.

vancouver islander

vancouver islander - Dec 13, 2006 6:01 am - Voted 10/10

All that and...

...slide alder too. Well done you guys for keeping cool, collected and working through the problems. Does you great credit as does such a well written article.

Mark Doiron

Mark Doiron - Dec 13, 2006 11:35 pm - Voted 10/10

Top Notch!

A very engaging read of success in a tough situation. Thanks, Vernon! --mark d.

PowderDay - Dec 15, 2006 5:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Ski Descent

Great Post...I have been evaluating a ski descent on the N. face of McDonald for a couple years now on a line that I think would go with a rap exist during a good year. Does anyone have any pics of the North face in winter, summer, fall, spring? Preferably from the McDonald glacier. Thanks in advance!
-Jeff

evolution_star

evolution_star - Jan 31, 2007 5:21 pm - Voted 10/10

Add it to the list.

Never been there before but after seeing your page its definately on the "To Do" List. Excellent job as all your pages are. I am glad you guys made it out in the shape you did and not any worse.

mtmtnr - Sep 30, 2008 10:50 am - Hasn't voted

On my mind

Epic trip report! Being from the Mission Valley, McDonald is constantly on my mind. I would hate to be stuck down in Grizzly Basin with a bad leg.
Did you consider doing an approach from Sheep's Head, following the ridge line up from the trail head?

seldomseenjerin

seldomseenjerin - Jan 23, 2011 7:35 pm - Hasn't voted

future plans.

Hoping to get up in that area and in particular Mollman Lakes within the next year or so. Heck of a commute from Colorado, but looks amazing. Great job on the page too.

Viewing: 1-12 of 12
Return to 'Minor Epic on McDonald Peak' main page