Monte Cimone Normal SE Ascent

Monte Cimone Normal SE Ascent

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 46.42160°N / 13.38540°E
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Rating the Route by Hiking Standards

Mini Ferrata
The short ferrata section

0. General: 1500 m to 2379 m, exposition SE, marked, protected route. Very nice landscape! No water.

1. Effort: 900 m, 3 h 30 min.

2. Power: 3 - medium (over the rock step, otherwise only walk-up)

3. Psyche: 3 - medium.

4. Orientation: 2 - easy.

Approach

You start the tour on the last parking place on Altipiano del Montasio, some 1500 m.

Route Description

Forca Vandul
Monte zabuš
Forca Vandul
Forca di Vandul

From the parking place you continue by a cart-road towards the west. When the road turns left, Via Alta, the marked path continues right. This nice path crosses horizontally the slopes of Zabuš towards the west. After some 45 min you reach the shallow valley, falling down from the Forca di Vandul (notch in the main ridge). On the western side of the valley you can see funny rock formations. There you deter right (path No. 640) and ascend in many turns on the notch.

Forca di Vandul is a very wild place (the Hell Gate). A steep gorge is falling northwards into Dogna/Dunja, and the two side pillars are squeezing it strongly. Just above the notch a well secured cable route brings you up, over some 100 m high rocky wall. By a nice ledge you reach the summit ridge of Monte Cimone's fore-summit, called Pizzo Viene (2037 m). There you pass the bivouac. Soon afterwards from the right the Ferrata Norina exits from the north face of Monte Cimone / Strma peč. By the summit ridge or left below it the tiny path crosses very steep grassy slopes and so reaches the highest point.

You best descend by the same route. The alternative is to descend by the steep grassy slope west of Pizzo Viene and below reach the Via Alta.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.