Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.94792°N / 10.77254°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7057 ft / 2151 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte TofinoMonte Tofino seen from Corno di Pichea

Monte Tofino, together with its neighbour Corno di Pichea, can be called the central mountain of a ridgeline which lies in the triangle between the lakes Lago di Garda, Lago di Ledro and Lago di Tenno. The ridge starts at Rocchetta Giochello (1540m), runs west to Cima Pari (1991m), where it turns north Across Monte Tofino (2151m) and reaches its highpoint in Dosso della Torta (2156m). It later runs out across Gaverdina (2047m) and Monte Altissimo (2128m) towards Tione di Trento. The mountains on the ridge are a queer mix between steep grass mountains and vertical limestone rocks with a lot of bizarre karst formations in between.
On the route between Dosso della Torta and Monte Tofino
On the path through the east slopes of Monte Tofino
Looking from Dosso della Torta towards Monte Tofino

Monte Tofino is a specimen of the steep grass mountains. It has a long stretched ridge running north to south. As second highest mountain on the ridge after Dosso della Torta it commands great views, mainly towards the Adamello- and Brenta Groups. The mountain can be reached from three trailheads, Malga Trat and Malga Pranzo always higher up the mountains and the village of Ballino, north of Lago di Tenno. None of the trailheads is particularly close but a wonderful ridge traverse certainly makes up for it.
On the route between Dosso della Torta and Monte Tofino
On the route between Dosso della Torta and Monte Tofino
WW I cave above Sentiero della Pace

The whole ridge to which Monte Tofino belongs, saw severe fighting in WW I. It was fortified and held by Austrian troops, who faced off against Italian Alpini on the other side of Valle di Ledro. Many of these fortifications, caves, bunkers, trails can still be seen and used today and while the more prominent routes have been turned into Vie Ferrate (at Rocchetta Giochello), most of them were turned into Sentiero della Pace, a peace trail commemorating the war. The summit of Monte Tofino is devoid of any fortifications but the traverse towards Dosso della Torta clearly follows the old support trails of the Austrian troops. They are all located on the eastern side of the mountain, hiding from view from the former Italian fortifications to the south and west. There are several caves along the crest and a wonderful ledge traverse high above the mountain's very brittle east face.

360° Summit Panorama

360° Summit Panorama from Dosso della Torta

Getting There

WW I trail above the east face of Monte TofinoWW I trail above the east face of Monte Tofino

There are three trailheads for Monte Tofino, Malga Trat, Malga Pranzo and the village Ballino.

  • Malga Trat
    • On Brenner Motorway A22 take the exit Roveretto Sud
    • Switch to SS240 to Riva del Garda
    • After the town follow the signs to Valle di Ledro still remaining on SS240.
    • Drive through two tunnels and after Pieve di Ledro switch to SP119 into Valle Concei
    • At the end of the village Lenzumo turn right onto a mountain road to Malga Trat. It ends some 800m before the farm.
  • Malga Pranzo
    • On Brenner Motorway A22 take the exit Roveretto Sud
    • Switch to SS240 to Riva del Garda
    • After the town switch to SP37 to Pranzo
    • Turn left onto SP37dir to Campi
    • Take the dirt road to Malga Pranzo
  • Ballino
    • On Brenner Motorway A22 take the exit Roveretto Sud
    • Switch to SS240 to Riva del Garda
    • After the town switch to SP37 to Pranzo and SS421 to Ballino

Red Tape

Anemone narcissifloraAnemone narcissiflora

There's no Red Tape, perhaps a bit of private property around the farms but otherwise unspoilt. The WW I trails have been renovated recently(?), try to keep them in shape.

When to Climb

The best time is early summer through late autumn.

Accommodation

Weather Conditions

Monte Carè AltoMonte Carè Alto



Maps & Books

Maps


  • Digital Maps
  • Regular Maps
    • Alto Garda - Ledro - Monte Baldo
      Tabacco Map 061
      Editione Tabacco
      1:25000
      ISBN: 978-8883151057
    • Alto Garda - Ledro - Valle del Sarca
      Kompass Map WK096
      Kompass Verlag
      1:250000
      ISBN: 978-3850264921
    • Alto Garda e Ledro
      Kompass Map WK690
      Kompass Verlag
      1:250000
      ISBN: 978-3854917724


Books


  • Gardaseeberge
    Heinrich Bauregger
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN: 978-3-7633-4256-3


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.