Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.83031°N / 10.75585°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4731 ft / 1442 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Monte Traversole 1441 m

In the territories of Tremosine, between the Valle di Bondo and the Valle del Singol, there is a ridge developing South to Passo Nota and dominating the Western side of the Garda lake. This crest is formed by a long sequence of summits among which the highest one is Monte Traversole. Monte Traversole is a mountain belonging to the Prealpi Bresciane and Gardesane with an elevation of 1441 meters and a prominence of 214 metres. 

 

Monte Traversole
Monte Traversole
Monte Traversole
Monte Traversole

 

 

Getting There

There are several approachs to the mountain, the shorter one is from Passo Nota m. 1208, from where you can climb the peak through a round trip.

Road access to Passo Nota

From the "Western Gardesana" reach Limone sul Garda, where you turn to right to Vesio and Tremosine. The road is very steep and immediately offers breathtaking views of Garda Lake; we are in the province of Brescia. After a few kilometers follow the signposts to Vesio and then take the good military road to "Passo Nota" m. 1200 (Bondo Valley). Parking lot near the Rifugio degli Alpini. The pass is located 9 km from the village of Vesio.

Route

Monte Traversole from Passo Nota

Summit quote: 1442 m
Difficulty: E
Difference in level: 234 m, longer develope
Exposition: East
Starting point: Passo Nota 1208 m

From the car park near Rifugio Alpini Passo Nota go back slightly along the access road to reach a junction, where it start a road on the left (closed to traffic). The path takes the number 106 and follows a WWI military road, the Angelini Military Road. Follow this road meandering through the woods, soon reaching the remains of some war shelters dating back to the WWI, where it's located an information table. Continue along the road, reaching the Baita Cerese and then two marked forks, both to be ignored,  the first one on the left to Passo Bestana and Baita Segala and the second one on the right to Muravalle. Shortly before a curve to the right along the Angelini Military Road, a narrow path without signposts comes off to the left and starts to climb diagonally. Take this path.

The old Baita Cerese along the Angelini Military road
The old Baita Cerese along the Angelini Military road
Signpost along Angelini Military Road
Signpost along Angelini Military Road

After a hairpin bend to the left, you will arrive under a narrow saddle at the altitude of 1347 m along the summit ridge, which is quickly reached. From the saddle we head towards the left on a very steep slope along the summit ridge. After skirting some limestone towers to the left, follow the last part of the path, leaving some other limestone outcrops on the right and up the summit top, gaining Monte Traversole. Go back along the same route until you reach the same narrow saddle 1347 m, where we had reached the watershed, but instead of going down on the right along the route of the ascent we remain along the ridge steeply uphill in the woods. In short we gain the summit of Monte Tregadone m 1388. We proceed beyond the summit with a superb view towards Lake Garda.

Monte Baldo and Garda Lake seen from Monte Traversole
Monte Baldo and Garda Lake seen from Monte Traversole

Climbed on a modest summit we descend briefly to a hunting shelter 1358 m. The path continues gaining a further little crest. We are at Passo Tregadone 1340 m. We continue on the path that diverges from the watershed passing on the left along the slope facing towards the Garda Lake. The path develops halfway skirting the top of Corna Vecchia. On a slight descent, gain the watershed again in coincidence with the saddle that divides the Corna Vecchia from the Corno Nero.

Old cabin on Monte Traversole
Old cabin on Monte Traversole
Old WWI gallery along Angelini Military Road, Monte Traversole
Old WWI gallery along Angelini Military Road, Monte Traversole

We are at an important crossroads of paths. We ignore the trail n. 102 that descends steeply to the left towards Limone. We ignore in the same way the path on the ridge straigt in the direction of the Corno Nero and we go down to the right on an unmarked but obvious path, taking the Angelini Military Road shortly after. To close the ring we follow it to the right following the slightly uphill path with the striking image of the dolomitic outcrops of the Corno della Marogna in front. We cross a series of five fairly short artificial tunnels and then ignore the fork to the right with a sign indicating  "Corna Vecchia - Cima Traversole". Finally we return to gain the fork to Monte Traversole followed in the ascent closing a nice ring. The return follows in the last stretch the outward route, finally bringing us back towards the end of the road. We arrive under the 1918 War Cemetery,  which is reached rising up a meadow (after the visit you can go down directly to Passo Nota). Continuing instead on the dirt road, you arrive at the refuge in a few minutes.

 

Cima Parì and Cima Sclapa seen from WWI churchyard near Passo Nota
Cima Parì and Cima Sclapa seen from WWI churchyard near Passo Nota

Hut

Rifugio Alpini Passo Nota
Rifugio Alpini Passo Nota

 

 

Rifugio Alpini di Passo Nota

Red Tape

No fees no permits required to climb.

Hiking and scrambling scale

T - Turistico (Tourist): Itineraries on wide, clear and well worn paths, sometimes on mule tracks or gravel roads. The routes are never exposed, don't give any orientation problems and don't exceed 2500 meters of altitude. Suitable also for children.

E - Escursionisti (Hikers): Itineraries on marked trails, even narrow and with possible steep and impervious sections. They are never exposed and don't give any orientation problems. They can tread different kinds of ground, such as forests, gravel, meadows, pastures, easy rocks, etc.). They form the majority of the trails that wind up in the mountains and require a certain habit to walk; you need equipment suitable for the altitude and resistant footwear with soles suitable for rough terrain.

EE - Escursionisti Esperti (Experienced Hikers): Itineraries for hikers with experience and good knowledge of the mountain. Some of these paths may have exposed sections, however brief, which require firm foot and no dizziness. They require the ability to adapt to particular terrain, such as steep grassy slopes or stretches of rocks with difficulties that can reach the 1st degree of the UIAA scale. They can also reach high altitudes (3000 m or more). Sometimes they may include unmarked sections, requiring a good sense of orientation. Snow slopes are possible, however which can be overcome without specific mountaineering gear (rope, harness, crampons, ice-axe).

EEA - Escursionisti Esperti con Attrezzatura (Experienced Hikers with equipment - The same as EE, in addition these routes require the use of via ferrata equipment (lanyards, harness, carabiners, heat sink, helmet). This kind of itineraries range from the trails with short easy and not much exposed sections, previously equipped with fixed ropes and iron pegs, to the true and more difficult Via Ferratas climbing on rocky walls or on aerial ridges and ledges, previously equipped with long stretches of iron ropes, iron steps, ladders without which proceeding would constitute a real climbing. It is necessary to know how to use the technical equipment and have a certain habit of exposure and mountaineering terrains.

When to Climb

All year round

Where to stay

Different possibilities of accomodation in Limone and Tremosine.

Bibliography

"Prealpi Bresciane" by Fausto Camerini - Collana Guide dei Monti d'Italia, CAI-TCI

Maps: 

LAGIRALPINA sheet 016 - Alpi di Ledro - Tremalzo 1:25.000

Meteo Forecast

Meteo Lombardia
Meteo Trentino