Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.46360°N / 9.52340°E
Additional Information Elevation: 3697 ft / 1127 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Monte Turuddo photo_id=92791

Monte Turuddo is the westernmost summit of the long Monte Albo chain on Sardinia / Sardegna. Together with Punta Catirina to the northeast it is the highest mountain of the chain. Monte Albo is composed of a single ridge of mountains, all with impressive vertical north faces. Only the summits on either end - Punta Cupetti to the northeast and Monte Turuddo to the southwest stand aside, both being separated from the ridge by important passes. The whole range is composed of (almost) white limestone rock and resembles the karst formations in the Julian Alps.

All summits on Monte Albo show high plateaus which from afar seem to be unpopulated. Once you close in on the mountains, however, you find lots of flowers of all kinds. St. Pankratius Lillies and cyclamen cover all habitable spots and wherever there is a meadow you will find orchids.

Geologically Monte Albo is closely related to Supramonte to the south and Isola Tavolara in the northeast. All show the same limestone formations with vertical faces to nearly all sides. Within the millennia the mountain ranges have drifted apart due to tectonic changes, however.

Monte Turuddo - because of its solitary location to the southwest of Monte Albo - commands great views of the whole chain, of Supramonte and the coastal regions (Supramonte Costiera). Its normal ascent, however is difficult - you reach the pass Janna Nurai using a forest road but from there on the climb is trail less. Moreover the karst formations appear to be more or less featureless. You'll need a good sense (or equipment) for orientation.

Monte TuruddoPunta CatirinaPunta sae MussinuPunta RomasinuPunta FerulargiuPunta Cupetti

Interactive overview map of the Monte Albo mountain range. The summits which have been posted to SP are marked in red.

Getting There


Sardinia can be reached either by plane or by ferry. The main ports are Porto Torres and Olbia in the north and Arbatax and Cagliari in the south. Airports are at Alghero and Olbia in the north as well as (again) Arbatax and Cagliari in the south. For exploring the northeastern part of the island where most of the mountains are the best entry point is Olbia, which is where most flights go anyway.

Approaching the mountain from Olbia airport
Get on motorway SS 131 south in the direction of Siniscola / Nuoro. At the exit Lula / Dorgali get off and turn on SP38 north (again direction Lula). Here turn to SP3 east (direction Passo Santa Anna). 6km after the town on the right hand side a dirt road (route to Janna Nurai) turns off. Park your car there and follow the dirt road to the pass Janna Nurai.

Capo d'OrsaPunta CugnanaMonte LimbaraPunta MaggioreCala LunaPunta GiradiliMonte AlboSupramonteGennargentuCodula della LunaBaccu Maore

Interactive map of Sardinia and its mountain regions. Click on the regions, red triangles (mountains) or stars (gorges).

Red Tape


There is no red tape on the Monte Albo chain - it does not belong to any natural park. The trailhead on SP3 requires no permit but since it is an agriculturally used region be sure not to block any pathways. Most of the flowers are preserved so please leave them in their places. You won't be able not to step on the flowers but please do so only at a minimum.

Orchids...


... are abundant on the monte Albo chain. The pictures have been taken all over Monte Albo and Supramonte and some of them have already been posted to the Punta Catirina page.
Monte Turuddo photo_id=89866Monte Turuddo photo_id=90357Monte Turuddo photo_id=89864Monte Turuddo photo_id=90066Monte Turuddo photo_id=90354
Monte Turuddo photo_id=90353Monte Turuddo photo_id=90355Monte Turuddo photo_id=92627Monte Turuddo photo_id=90356Monte Turuddo photo_id=92628

When To Climb


Monte Turuddo is not high enough to see great amounts of snow in winter so it can be climbed throughout the year. Spring and autumn are the best seasons for climbing and hiking on Sardinia. Summer is always very hot.

Accommodation


Accommodation...
...is rather easy to find. Since all the interesting mountaineous regions are on the north and east coast - which is where the largest beaches are - you can book hotel rooms and appartments from any tourist office. The regions around the towns of Siniscola or Lula should be the best staying places for exploring Monte Albo.

Camping...
... is also easy to find in the vicinity of the beaches. Look for locations, using www.sardegna.com. Don't think of free camping rather use "agriturismo" - farmers offering rooms and appartments on their farms. Sometimes they will let you camp on their grounds for a little fee.

Weather Conditions


Go for the following link, which is in Italian but with ALL the information you might want to have on weather on the island:

www.sar.sardegna.it.

Head for the "Bollettino dettagliato" link.

Maps 'n' Books


As for Maps I used only a road map scale 1:200000 since the guidebook I used has maps and is really quite good. Don't be fooled by the durations they state, you'll be much faster but the "getting there's" and "route description's" are very good.

The book is:
Sardinia (Sardegna / Sardinien)
M. Omidvar
Rother Verlag
ISBN: 3-7633-4800-X (English)
ISBN: 3-7633-4143-9 (Italian)
ISBN: 3-7633-4023-8 (German)



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monte AlboMountains & Rocks