Viewing: 1-3 of 3
McCannster

McCannster - Apr 17, 2012 2:09 am - Voted 10/10

great page

Great beta, got get out there soon.

David Naylor

David Naylor - Apr 17, 2012 3:04 am - Hasn't voted

Thank you!

I hope you do, it is a nice hike with a lot of scrub jays around. No shortage of private peaks in the Diablo Range!

Moonknightca

Moonknightca - Jan 18, 2019 11:55 am - Hasn't voted

A Few Updates as of January 2019

Great page, David. Very helpful and well done. I have a few updates that may help as well. On 17 January 2019, these updates were noted:

- The first gate right off Mines Road for the South Pocket Trailhead now has a "No Trespassing No Hunting" Sign posted on it.
- The first two gate were closed. The first one was locked. The second was just secured with a clip.
- There is a small box on a post just after the second of the first two gates which has a log book in it for the N3 Cattle Company LLC Hunting Club.
- The log book and No Hunting signs indicate to me that the owner(s) are much more concerned about poachers than they are hikers. To legally hike this summit I suppose one could consider joining the Hunting Club for a season.

- There were several fresh "No Hunting or Trespassing under the penalty of the law" signs along the way. At least one of these is shown in the photos on your page.
- The upper two gates are gone.
- For both Mount Boardman and Mount Boardman North, the summit trail leads straight up on the left while the round contours around to the right.

- No cairn, or any other sort of markers could be found on Mount Boardman.
- The County Boundary Marker had been dug up on Mount Boardman North and was lying amongst a pile of other rocks about 3 yards from the solar panels.

- Note that after your turn onto Mines Road from Tesla Road in Livermore, you have to make another 90 degree left turn ahead in order to stay on Mines Road. If you go straight on what is physically the same road, you will continue onto Del Valle Road. The left turn to stay on Mines is 3.5 miles after you initially turn from Tesla onto Mines.
- The address for Camp Bessie is 59011 Mines Road. I told my phone to go there but it couldn't find it. But that's the address so your can gauge your approach.
- I concur that the Alameda/Santa Clara County Border is at 20 miles down Mines Road but my odometer indicated that Camp Bessie was just 2.2 miles beyond that, rather than the 6 indicated. 6 additional miles put me at a dirt driveway with a green cattle gate across it that read "Brown". This was beyond Camp Bessie. I also concur that trailhead is just .3 miles beyond Camp Bessie on the opposite side of the road. There's a Scout Camp on the right as you're coming in. That's 7.2 miles before Camp Bessie on the same side of the road.
- Camp Bessie didn't have a flag up. The gate had a red and white No Trespassing Sign on it with the symbol of a Sheriff's badge or something akin to that on it.

- Happy Hiking everybody.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
Return to 'Mount Boardman North' main page