Mount Clark Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 32
12
wmolland

wmolland - Aug 28, 2023 10:00 pm Date Climbed: Aug 26, 2023

NW Arete  Sucess!

To start off with, there was a fire in 2021 that erased pretty much all of the swamp/downed forest section that existed on the xc portion of the route from Mono Meadows TH. It's now (as of 2023) a pretty straightforward route from the trail cutoff all the way to the start of the climb.

Secondly, holy moly the exposure is real on this route! After a maybe 150' section of for sure 4th class (including pulling an easy but super exposed roof), the route to the summit is impossible to get lost on. But it's wildly exposed. If you're comfortable with exposure it's big deal, but if not it'll send you spinning.

Fantastic climb, one of the best in the Sierra- with views to match. Just don't underestimate the last 300' of vert.

colinr

colinr - Oct 6, 2017 12:59 am Date Climbed: Aug 9, 2017

https://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2017/08/convoluted-bliss.html  Sucess!

https://peaksforfreaks.blogspot.com/2017/08/convoluted-bliss.html

Romain

Romain - Aug 31, 2017 4:20 pm Date Climbed: Aug 25, 2017

Up NW ArĂȘte, down SE ArĂȘte  Sucess!

Very good climb, followed by the West Ridge of Gray Peak. Trip report

jdmorris

jdmorris - Sep 21, 2015 2:33 pm Date Climbed: Sep 19, 2015

W Face / NW Arete  Sucess!

Dayhiked from Happy Isles - about 32mi and 9.5k'. Took slabs up just east of Bunnell Point bypassing brush that had mired me on a previous trip and then went up the center of the west face above 'Gendarme Robert' (staying right at the top of the approach 'gulley') to the north ridge on the NW Arete route. There was some spicy slab climbing and a 4th class scramble but nothing too severe before a great sidewalk-in-the-sky 3rd class finish.

dkangas - Aug 23, 2013 2:13 am Date Climbed: Aug 21, 2013

NW Arete  Sucess!

My third year in a row to summit Clark--it's a favorite. I'm now convinced that the purported 3rd/4th class route onto the NW Arete simply does not exist. My partner and I (Waide L) agreed our route was a 5.6 or so. Whoever goes for this route should either be prepared to solo 5.6 or bring a rope.

We did it in two pitches on a 30m rope as follows:
P1: From the left side of the top of the gully, start up an awkward hand crack (5.6) into a 4th class trench up to a small shrub pine tree for a belay stance.
P2: From the pine tree ascend to the right along a smooth, low-angle face to just under a roof (the roof is obvious from below). Getting under and around the roof is the 5.6 crux. From there it is a face climb with good holds but poor pro onto the arete. The arete itself is super-exposed class 3 on beautiful granite, everything one could ask for.

Diggler

Diggler - Jun 14, 2013 1:43 pm Date Climbed: Jun 12, 2013

fun  Sucess!

Did the NW Arete; 2nd try, after an unsuccessful attempt maybe a week prior. This time, after camping at Little Yosemite Valley after (another) unsuccessful Half Dome NW face attempt, figured it would be good to do this, while having 5 less miles to hike than from the standard TH. Left LYV campground at 9.20. Summited 15.00ish. Incredible views, super fun climbing! Left summit at 15.30. In attempt to find shortcut on downclimb, found myself in sketch 5th class terrain. Obviously no misfortune, but super glad to just make it back to the arete proper & just downclimb the same way I came up. Back at the campground ~22.00. Long, interesting, & fun day!

kevin trieu

kevin trieu - Apr 30, 2013 2:40 pm

weird year...  Sucess!

climbed during the year when there were no snow in the high country late into winter and all the high lakes were perfect for ice skating.

WayneFry

WayneFry - Sep 28, 2012 5:51 pm Date Climbed: Sep 22, 2012

The Obelisk! SE Arete  Sucess!

Climbed this route with dkangas and three other climbers from SMG. Long approach (9.5 mi) from Mono Meadows TH then another (1.5 mi) on summit day. Good solid route with lots of interesting and exposed climbing. The highlight of the day was of course the step-across below the summit. Damn little for hand holds and a step that must be made with authority. James Gardiner best described this part of the route after he and Clarence King summited the peak in 1866. "It was, I think, duty's call that nerved us. That leap, like most dangers, seemed more perilous after it was made than before; it was not the length of the spring -- that was easy -- but to light in exact balance on a projecting rock that scarcely held half of one foot, while the remainder of the body hung over a precipice 1500 ft. deep, was a thing requiring most exact judgment."

seano

seano - Sep 27, 2012 8:39 pm Date Climbed: Sep 26, 2012

Up NW, down SE  Sucess!

Climbed some harder-than-necessary variation of the NW ridge after a long, long slog over from Starr King. Down the SE ridge, which is definitely less cool than the NW. Trip report.

bechtt

bechtt - Jun 25, 2012 4:46 pm Date Climbed: Jun 24, 2012

Ascent via NW, descent via SE  Sucess!

Good ascent with Bill and Laura climbing directly from the gendarme saddle at the top right side of the gully. Multiple rap stations and some interesting moves gave me pause a couple of times of my choice in footware. Missed (or forgot about) the airy step on the SE arete as Bill and I downclimbed an exposed cl.4 weakness on the east side. And then downed trees forever!

Vitaliy M.

Vitaliy M. - Aug 22, 2011 4:23 pm Date Climbed: Aug 20, 2011

Finally..NW arete  Sucess!

Came back with same group to get our revenge. No thunderstorm this time! Took about an hour on the summit to take in the views!

mrchad9

mrchad9 - Aug 22, 2011 1:44 pm Date Climbed: Aug 20, 2011

Mono Meadows  Sucess!

Long dayhike from Mono Meadows with Vitaliy M. and dkangas after being chased off by electrical storms the year before. We got very lucky with the wind as the smoke from the nearby fires on Glacier Point road did not affect our views at all. Climbed onto the arete from the saddle where the ridge in the middle meets the southwest face. Excellent day.

dkangas - Aug 22, 2011 12:52 pm Date Climbed: Aug 20, 2011

Return to Clark  Sucess!

Returned to NW arete after getting stopped by a lightning storm last fall. Day-hiked from Mono Meadow with Chad and Vitaliy. To gain the arete we climbed to the saddle between the large gendarme and the west face itself, scrambled up some class 3, then set up an anchor for the class 5 portion. Superb day.

yosemitechickon

yosemitechickon - Aug 16, 2011 8:09 pm Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2011

Dun it  Sucess!

Up NW Arete, down NE face:
https://picasaweb.google.com/yosemite.chick.on/MtClark

mountainmatt

mountainmatt - Feb 7, 2011 9:29 pm

Favorites  Sucess!

One of my favorites from my years working in the High Sierras.

dkangas - Oct 6, 2010 1:55 am Date Climbed: Oct 2, 2010

Storm on Clark

Day-hiked from Happy Isles with Vitaliy and Chad for attempt on NW Arete. Forecast was for the famous 20% chance of thunderstorms. At the top of the gully (the route start) dark clouds alternated with sun as we put on gear, so we decided to climb up to the arete and "see." After one pitch with a 30m rope we encountered a crux section for getting onto the top of the arete. Unexpectedly difficult climbing (seemed more like class 5 than the advertised class 4 to me), and with now very sketchy weather, I bailed. Vitaliy and Chad continued to the top of the arete. Within minutes they were engulfed in electro-static goo, rocks humming, as a huge t-storm rolled over us. I was able to rappel down from my position using a long piece of webbing while the others hunkered down under a roof on top of the arete. Fortunately, everyone was okay. A very scary 45 minutes. Lesson for me: pay attention to the weather. But Clark is a beautiful mountain--I'll be going back. Car to car was 18 hours. To avoid bushwhacking hell, head up as soon as you see exposed granite from the trail after Bunnell Point. In general, staying as far west as possible is a good rule for navigating the first off trail section.

PellucidWombat

PellucidWombat - Sep 19, 2010 8:24 pm Date Climbed: Sep 18, 2010

Loooong Dayhike  Sucess!

Dayhiked via NW Arete from Happy Isles TH with Joel Wilson and Heyning Cheng. I carried a rope and rack to lead the exposed sections for the others, and it came in handy! I started on the 4th class crack, but found two sections that I'd say were 5.4-5.5 (so 'classic' Sierra cl. 4?). We avoided the bushwack hell on the way up but couldn't avoid it on the way down.

murraymcleod

murraymcleod - Jan 8, 2010 2:19 am Date Climbed: Aug 15, 1970

1970 Climb  Sucess!

Climbed with Kris Kilmer from Merced Lake HSC where we worked that summer. We had to be back by 4PM to help fix dinner for guests, so was a quick trip. Climbed east slope (not too hard) and descended via north slope I think....

cottersnow - Dec 5, 2009 3:42 pm Date Climbed: Aug 11, 2006

Oblique Lake  Sucess!

Pretty. Should've done a different route though.

haishan

haishan - Jul 13, 2008 2:22 pm Date Climbed: Jun 13, 2008

NW Arete  Sucess!

Loop dayhike from the Valley, up via Little Yosemite and down via SE Arete and Illilouette drainage. 1500' of great ridge scrambling and a little stiffer near the summit. Spectacular and exhausting.

Viewing: 1-20 of 32
12
Return to 'Mount Clark' main page