Mount Earnslaw/Pikirakatahi Additions and Corrections

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
dadndave

dadndave - Nov 25, 2004 9:52 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

Some excellent photos of the walk in along the Rees valley and up to Kea Basin are available on th OTMC (Otago Tramping & Mountaineering Club) website. www.otmc.co.nz

dadndave

dadndave - Feb 20, 2005 8:41 pm - Voted 8/10

Untitled Comment

You can (and should) register your intentions at the DOC office at Glenorchy before departing for the mountain. If you become overdue they will notify police, search and rescue (if necessary) and next of kin etc.

mattjohnson - Mar 7, 2005 8:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Roads:

If you don't have your own car you can hire transport on a number of different shttles that operate between Queenstown- Glenorchy and the start & finish of many tracks in the area (Rees-Dart/Routeburn, etc.).



If you are driving yourself it is worth stopping in at the DOC in Glenorchy to see if there are any barriers to driving all the way to muddy flat. The road into the Rees valley 'fords' many streams that turn into real monsters after a prolonged heavy rain. It is possible that you and your car could be stuck at muddy flat or not even make it all the way there if the weather goes south.



Track:

The track in the Rees Valley is pleasant in dry weather, but prone to bog-like conditions after much rain and/or snowmelt. Once you get off the road and onto the actual track and have crossed the Rees for the first time you have the option of walking up onto the side hills to avoid the bog (and cows) below if it is really wet. Just head up onto the little hills on the right and sidle almost all the way to 25 mile creek where the ground again dries out. You will know when you reach the bog if it is really wet. This will save you much trouble and keep your feet dry for one more day.



To access the good bivy sites in Kea Basin and the route to the climb you will have to cross the Rees river. Your best bet for crossing will depend on how fast and deep the water is flowing at the time. Walk to where 25 mile creek spills into the river and begin assesing at that point. During low water the crossing is relatively simple and can be done just beyond 25 mile creek. During high water you need to be prepared to get wet and should look for the best possible crossing both before and after 25 mile creek. If the cows can get over there so can you.



Final word of advice: do not stay in the 25 mile hut. It is owned by the Otago tramping club and is in sad, sad shape; yet you will still be charged NZ$10 to stay there. if you can't make it to Kea Basin on day one, then be prepared to sleep out under the stars or a tarp in the flats near the hut.

gimpilator

gimpilator - Nov 29, 2015 10:29 am - Hasn't voted

Coordinates

Please include the coordinates so this mountain appears on the map. (-44.622309, 168.41067)

dadndave

dadndave - Dec 28, 2015 1:34 am - Voted 8/10

Re: Coordinates

Done!

Cheers

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Mount Earnslaw/Pikirakatahi' main page