Viewing: 1-5 of 5
lcarreau

lcarreau - Feb 15, 2009 1:22 pm - Voted 10/10

Revealing report ...

I have a "High Uinta Trails" book published in 1974. It says the
average size of Deer Lake at that time was 12-acres. It also states that the entire "Timothy Lakes Basin" area is outside the Primitive area, but is within the proposed Wilderness area.

I can assume that because of several years of drought on that side of the Uintas, some landowners were up there with bulldozers, trying to divert the water down to their fields.

IMHO, all the more reason to push for 'Wilderness' designation!

Dmitry Pruss

Dmitry Pruss - Feb 17, 2009 6:51 pm - Voted 10/10

Welcome to SP

& glad to see more SPers who appreciate my favorite Uintas beyond the oh-so-common Kings Peak from Henrys :) Just a couple suggestions for a new user, it makes sense to attach TRs to mountains, and also everything looks better with the geographic coordinates (just click on "+" sign on a little Google map on the "Edit" page!)

Heaton

Heaton - Feb 17, 2009 11:44 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Welcome to SP

I've loved the Unitas since my Dad took me to Naturalist Basin as a young kid. I'm still learning the features of this site. Thanks for the tips!

Tracy

Tracy - Feb 18, 2009 12:16 am - Voted 10/10

Enjoyable report

This report reminded me of when my brother and I attempted Kings Peak from the Timothy Lakes Basin in the 1980's. We came in via the road you found.

Heaton

Heaton - Feb 18, 2009 1:52 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Enjoyable report

We considered taking that road, but it didn't look like a sure thing. It was hard to tell from the map where the driving ended and the hiking began. :-) We'd been to the Swift Creek Trailhead before and knew what to expect.

I went on geology field camp around Henderson years ago.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Mount Emmons in two days' main page