Mount Gorongosa

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 18.1067°S / 34.44763°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6109 ft / 1862 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is a significant mountain that rises out of the otherwise flat surroundings. This mountain has a unique island ecology which harbours a number of endemic species, most famous of which is the Green Headed Orial (this is the only place south of the Zambezi that this bird is found). At present the National Park which does not include the mountain is setting up a plan to assisit hikers and protect the mountian. Scientist have said that the mountins ecology could be perminatly lost in five years if no significant action is taken to stop the deforistation and burning that is encroaching on its slopes.
Gorongosa Forest
Cascata (waterfall)

Getting There

You will need to go to Gorongosa city. To get here from Berea head east to Inchope on the EN6 then north on the EN1. From Zimbabwe or Chimoio head west to Inchope on the EN6 then North on the EN1. A short distance after the town is a turn off onto a dirt road that heads 25km to the base of the mountain. There are current plans of improving the road and extending it closer to the base of the mountain. For the latest info call the park or check out www.gorongosa.net

Red Tape

A person used to be able to wander back here and pay some local kid to take them up the mountain. However, those days seem to be gone. The National Park has basically commandeered the mountain and is putting guards and guides at the base of the mountain. This means it's probably best to contact the Park about your intention to climb and work out your trip through them. The cost varies depending on transportation, accommodations and the number of guides. The guides speak english in theory, but portuguese is really a lot easier.

Camping

Camping at the end of the road and then heading up the mountain in the morning is an excellent idea. The park has set up some extremely primative accommodations and you can pitch a tent here. Its a good back woods Mozambique experience, with out being too out there.

External Links

www.gorongosa.net

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

MozambiqueMountains & Rocks
 
Mozambique High PointsMountains & Rocks