Mount Guyot Comments

Viewing: 1-18 of 18
nader

nader - Jan 22, 2004 3:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Loved the beautiful winter pictures.

Kane

Kane - Jan 24, 2004 11:35 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Together with Bald Mountain, we have represented this area well. Bald is a hell of a mountain! What are your plans this upcoming season?

nader

nader - Jan 25, 2004 11:48 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Still working through the details. I will send you an e-mail about my possible plans in the next few days.

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Jan 22, 2004 5:04 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Your format is very original. Good page!

Alan Ellis

Alan Ellis - Jan 24, 2004 12:25 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I'm looking at coming out in May for a long weekend. I'd be up for anything.

The Lower Marmot

The Lower Marmot - Jan 22, 2004 6:33 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page!

Kane

Kane - Jan 24, 2004 10:52 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Mr Ellis, when will be your first visit to Colorado after Breckenridge? Thanks for all the HTML code.

Kane

Kane - Jan 24, 2004 11:33 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Sorry Mr Marmot, I thought I was replying to Alan Ellis, plus you can't edit these messages.



At any rate, thanks for the recent support of my pages. Are you planning nay trips to Colorado besides a potential Achonee trip?



Concerning Achonee, It is my personal opinion that this mountain would be a nightmare to take on in March. When I think of the standard route on Achonee, the one thing that comes to mind is that 2 mile, 3,850-ft ascent up the West Slopes. That's clearly the steepest slope that I remember ever doing. 2,500ft of that is a very dense forest of trees spaced about 2-3-ft apart, with no trail. That slope doesn't get any sun, so the potential for deep snow is real. I remember how much moss and lichen was hanging on those trees, I got the impression that the sun has trouble getting through. So the combo of deep snow and that steep slope makes for a nightmare day. I also think that avalanche danger could be a real possibility, that slope is clearly more than 35 degress. If anything were to go wrong you would be far and away from any help, plus if anything were to go wong in those trees they would never find you, its remote.



Another challenge would be locating the spot to leave the Arapaho Pass Trail to start the ascent up the west slopes. It may surprise you when you see how steep the slope is as well. I know, I keep alluding that the steepness of the slope. I remember having trouble with my balance a few times, having to reach up for anything to get a hold of to keep myself from slipping on the pine needle, covered slopes.



Having 5-7 people with you leads to potential issues concerning time. It also leads to potentenial of someone thinking you are crazy for leading them up that mountain. I would expect a few to bail on you unless these guys are hardcore animals.



Lastly, you would have to contact the ranger district to find out if the Monarch TH is accesible in march.



If you want a better alternative that still gets you the view of Lone Eagle Cirque, I would highly recommend an ascent up Mount Toll. Mount Toll is probably the most eye appealing mountain in that area,plus I know people do it in spring all the time. I thought the view from Toll were as good as anything in the Brainard Lake area.



That's my 2 cents-sorry it took so long to get back to you.

JonBradford

JonBradford - Jan 22, 2004 7:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Kane,

This may be one of my favorites of the pages you have done. I absolutely love the large sunrise shot in the overview. The historic info is very nice as well. I hope you don't mind if I add a few photos to your fine page... but I must admit everything I have pales next to the above mentioned shot. Nice work. Nice to make your aquiantence.

Jon

Kane

Kane - Jan 24, 2004 10:51 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the nice vote. Good photo additions. Got any plans the next couple of weeks?

Grant

Grant - Jan 22, 2004 9:42 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

excellent page Kane...

Kane

Kane - Jan 24, 2004 10:49 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Whats up Grant! We missed having you that day, you would have loved that nasty little snow traverse to reach the summit.



How's the leg?

Grant

Grant - Jan 25, 2004 12:00 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Kane - What's up,

Boy,,, Guyot looked like a lot of fun and I wish I could of made it. Only being able to LOOK at the pics all of you are submitting I might as well be living in Iowa right now. The swelling has not receeded at all and I haven't been out to see how it would feels. I can hike on dry ground but for now I have to stay off the snow. I plan on doing somthing in the snow the week before the Quandary climb to see if I will be able to make it. This really SUCKS!!!!!

Andy

Andy - Jan 23, 2004 2:49 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

That's cool that you guys met Jon up there. Was that planned, or a coincidence?

Kane

Kane - Jan 24, 2004 9:41 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the vote Andy. I informed Jon about a week prior of our intentions, but never thought about him wanting to join up. I think he just decided to give it a shot and see what happened, the worst case scenario would be that he would gain that summit. Also, I never informed him as to which route we were attempting but he guessed right by heading up Georgia Pass.



Are you going out to The Park with Nelson soon?



Do you have a place to stay in Breck? I kind of put that trip on the backburner for now. I'm not sure if I'm going. I do want to go but I'm still looking for a place to crash on the floor. I'll e-mail Nelson to see if he's interested.

Kane

Kane - Jan 24, 2004 10:43 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks Jim. Got any plans the next couple of weeks?

Nelson

Nelson - Feb 22, 2004 9:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Of course I had to have another, and closer, look at this page right away. Very nice. I like the naming information. Cool mountain.



Great weekend!

brenta

brenta - Jan 24, 2005 1:04 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

I saw this impressive summit yesterday for the first time from Grizzly Peak. Your page captures the beauty of Mount Guyot and is rich of useful info. Did you get an idea whether the south ridge route from French Pass would make a good winter ascent? Thanks for posting!



A couple of minor details, the first in the main page and the second in the route page:



If your lucky -> if you are lucky



vise versa -> vice versa

Viewing: 1-18 of 18
Return to 'Mount Guyot' main page