Mount Kailash is one of the...

Mount Kailash is one of the...

Mount Kailash is one of the most holy mountains of Bhuddism, and it is right that no climbing permits for it are given.
John Shen
on Dec 10, 2003 1:38 am
Image ID: 35223

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Velebit

Velebit - Dec 10, 2003 5:42 am - Voted 10/10

Nice shot

Nice shot John! I'm jealous of you and Johan when I see you posting shots of all the areas I would like to visit so much :-) I wonder how can we (they) be certain that Kailash is still unclimbed? It is vast area, who can forbid if someone decides to climb it. It is not tough mountain (from this side) and it can be done solo in day or too. I guess there are no guards around or police station :-) If Harrer made it then to Lhasa certainly some could have climbed Kailash by now. I also wonder what would be the punishment, if any, if pilgrims would spot someone on the mountain?

John Shen

John Shen - Dec 11, 2003 5:06 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice shot

Unfortunately this was the case: Some years ago 2 Swedes made an illegal ascent of Kailash, most likely others have done so before. Can't people have just that little bit of respect? They did hurt the feelings of the locals a lot. This whole world is full of mountains, why then cannot one or two be left alone.

Velebit

Velebit - Dec 11, 2003 8:23 am - Voted 10/10

Re: Nice shot

I agree with you completely John! People just don't have respect, it’s shameful. I didn't know that Swedes climbed it but because of such people I doubted that it is still unclimbed. Do you know what the case with Machapuchare is? Maybe it is still unclimbed because it is such a tough mountain so one would need more time to climb it which gives more time to be spotted.

John Shen

John Shen - Dec 14, 2003 7:10 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice shot

I am not so known with Machapuchare, but others say that more than 30 years ago some British climbers reached agreement with the local monks that they could climb to 50 meter below the summit. From here they returned and as it is said that the last 50 meters are not difficult this can be considered summiting.

Corax

Corax - Aug 7, 2005 3:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Kailas climbed?

It would be interesting to know who these two Swedes are. Could you back up your claim that the mountain was climbed? Is is reliable information or the usual rumours which always circulates about this peak? Mail me if you don't want to discuss it directly on the board or here. See my profile for @.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5