Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Feb 14, 2008 3:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Half Done

Jim-Please read the FAQ completely and this article as well as this article, which will be very helpful in making your pages better. You have a fabulous writing style, but the page is only half done. 1 image is not worthy of a quality mountain page, and there is no ROUTE DESCRIPTION. A complete page needs to have a route included in the text or a seperate route page should be developed.

I'm willing to believe you're just not fully versed on what the expected basics are yet. It takes a while to learn about SP and all that you should do to warrant a good page on a mountain. Given your climbing experience, I believe you are capable of better submissions. Perhaps you should hold off until you have improved your current pages before adding more. SP's standards are pretty high, especially for an area as important as Glacier National Park. Folks submitting such material concerning Glacier are held to this high standard because of the high profile of this spectacular area.

If you would rather submit trip reports, that's fine. You can submit anything you want however you want, but mountain pages are SP's most important resource, and for Glacier, they must be held to the highest standard possible.

Your page, and likely other pages you have submitted, must have a reasonable number of photos to adequately represent the mountain, particularly the route that you climbed. If you do not have this material, please do not submit a mountain page. Submit a TRIP REPORT.

More importantly, each mountain page must have a ROUTE DESCRIPTION accompanied by ROUTE PHOTOS.

I strongly suggest you take your time to look around at SP's best rated mountain pages and realize the very high standards the membership has in regards to mountain page submissions, particularly for important, high profile areas like Glacier.

Take your time and submit one page at a time. You've obviously got the time, and the mountains aren't going anywhere.

When the improvements are made, I'll increase my vote. Thanks.

Aaron Johnson
SummitPost

jimegan

jimegan - Feb 14, 2008 3:58 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Half Done

Sorry I'm a slow learner. Would you like me to delete my mountain pages until more photos are available? I'll have to do more study of your route description standards...I did not appreciate your need for that and route photos. Guess I need to do more reading of your site and hold back on trying to contribute until my basic understanding of the format improves.

Aaron Johnson

Aaron Johnson - Feb 14, 2008 5:11 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Half Done

Hi Jim-

Keep your pages present and see if anyone contributes to them. Sometimes these things take time and lesser known mountains will certainly take more time to develop. Kintla is a tough one and quite remote, so it could be a while. Patience is key.


Yeah, look at some other examples on SP, and use SP's search engine. Click on MOUNTAINS AND ROCKS, then click on ADVANCED to get a listing of the best mountain pages by selecting SCORE. This is not the absolute best list (many great pages are lower rated) but it will give you a very good start on seeing what a great SP page should be, and I'm sure you would agree with me that a super fine area like Glacier only deserves the very best from us SP folks. Thanks for your support and understanding on this matter.


On the following page is a list of shining SP examples (and you'll find them great reading too) of stellar pages (although the list is a bit dated). Take the time to check them out. You'll be impressed and you will likely be inspired to really show off Kintla or Logan, for starters. There's lots of cool stuff you can do on SP to really make these important mountains shine, and there's plenty of resources on SP to help you, and the members will be glad to help you too. It's a steep learning curve, but once you're through that, I'm sure you will do these fine mountains great justice on SP.


SummitPost.org Part 2.
Over on the right in TABLE OF CONTENTS, click on GREAT SUMMITPOST CONTRIBUTIONS. You'll be overwhelmed and impressed. We're blessed with great writers and photographers as well as talented climbers on SP. Have fun!

distressbark

distressbark - Dec 17, 2009 2:35 pm - Voted 10/10

great route

seems like a fantastic way to spend a LONG day in Glacier! quick question though - i know that climbing Blackfoot invovles a massive, scary ice wall; this route must bypass this completely? just lots of ups/downs along the glaciated terrain?

jimegan

jimegan - Dec 23, 2009 8:56 am - Hasn't voted

Mt Logan route

You are correct in assuming the route I described for Mt Logan completly avoids the ice wall which is encountered between the upper and lower glacier portions of the Blackfoot Mtn route. If you should climb the Blackfoot route someday, the ice wall can be skirted on the right which leaves the bergstrom as the main obstacle in my experience. The Mt Logan route can involve snow/ice travel, but we avoided it by going toward Almost a Dog pass before heading up the slopes to the summit

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Mount Logan(GNP)' main page