Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.46366°N / 83.11062°W
Additional Information County: Haywood, Jackson
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 6240 ft / 1902 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Originally called Jones Knob, Mount Lyn Lowry was renamed in 1965 in honor of leukemia victim Lyn Lowry. The Rev. Billy Graham presided over the dedication ceremony. Mount Lyn Lowry is located in the Plott Balsams. The Plot Balsams cross the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina between Waterrock Knob & Yellow Face. Mt. Lyn Lowry is located one of the more unusual mountains you will climb. On the east portion of the ridge there is a 60 foot white metal cross with seven lights strategically placed on its east facing side. The lights are lit at night and can be seen from Waynesville, Sylva & other Western Carolina villages in the surrounding valleys. The cross itself is part of a memorial to Lyn Lowry. There is also a memorial plaque on the summit. The views to the east from the summit of Lyn Lowry are spectacular. There is also a beautiful meadow at the summit which makes an ideal locale for lunch and spiritual contemplation. The route from Waterrock Knob is strenuous, especially when wet, snowy or icy.

Getting There

From Waynesville, N.C. go about 8 miles to the Blue Ridge Parkway (BRP). Go toward the Smoky Mountains. Just after mile marker 451, look for exit to a giant tourist parking area near Waterrock Knob. Park here. There is a tourist kiosk that sells park trinkets/souvenirs. Take the trail to the top of Waterrock Knob (0.5 mi. from the parking lot) continue on the overgrown trail to Browning Knob (Browning Knob is a subpeak of Waterrock Knob) and on to Lyn Lowry.

Red Tape

This summit in on private land so tred lightly. The owners are gracious enough to allow "peakbaggers" to access the mountain. Let's not throw away this priveledge

When To Climb

Late fall through late spring are ideal times to climb Lyn Lowry. A Gospel Sing is held each September on the slopes below the summit of Lyn Lowry so check ahead.

Camping

Camping is not allowed on the summit. Many people camp @ Moonshine Creek



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.