Mount Norquay Comments

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
BobSmith

BobSmith - Jun 26, 2005 1:23 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice post.



Good info on the griz. My wife and I had a pretty frightening experience with black bear last week--a relatively big one--about 400 lbs. Always be careful in any kind of bear habitat.

desainme

desainme - Jun 26, 2005 1:41 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page with notes for care in bear country. Once a black bear cub climbed into a tree next to my parents cabin and was looking in the window. They saw it and thought it was cute but they knew that the cub was probably not alone.

Dow Williams

Dow Williams - Jun 26, 2005 1:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Desaine, my craziest bear story turned out not to be one...my wife and dog went in to bivy with me for a solo Mt. Joffre climb....in the middle of the night, we were awoke to what had to be a bear cub in our vestibule. My dog, who normally barks at everything, was quiet and shivering...I carefully laid out my pocket knife, ice tool and bear spray, put on my clothes and went out to haze what I could only suspect was moma bear close by...for 30 minutes in the cold I circled our tent yelling out..this damn bear cub kept whining the whole time like it was lost....I felt like this had to be the worse luck in the whole world....finally, my headlamp revealed that I was about to run into a huge porcupine who had come back to continue chewing on our boots, etc for the salt content....if I had not tilted my head at that exact moment, my leg would have been full of quills...turns out porcupines make the exact same noise as cub bears....unreal!!! I sprayed him with the bear spray, which he did not like much and when we ran into the warden on the way out 2 days later, he said he was on order to shoot all porcupines as they had become overpopulated and became a nuisance in this area. Don't know if I agree with all of that, but I was ready to do battle with this porcupine, that night.



I have come in contact with a dozen bears, and they have always suspected I was higher on the food chain. Normally if you can maintain respect both directions, you are ok. Cheers!

IdahoKid

IdahoKid - Jun 26, 2005 2:42 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another winner Dow.

Sean

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Jun 26, 2005 10:26 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another great page!

-Britt

William Marler

William Marler - Jun 27, 2005 9:21 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Great page. Cheers William

Scott

Scott - Jun 27, 2005 12:40 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Awesome peak and page!

Gangolf Haub

Gangolf Haub - Jun 27, 2005 3:54 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Another good page. As far as I understand the mountain is more of a viewpoint than an actual climbing / scrambling destination, isn't it? You should change the tooltips on your thumbnail links - they still say "Tooltip for Mozilla: Gamskofel". As much as I love my faq hint being useful I would propose you change it to something more close to home :-)

Joseph Bullough

Joseph Bullough - Jun 28, 2005 9:42 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Dean

Dean - Jun 28, 2005 4:19 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

My closest grizzly encounter came on Abercrombie Peak here in Washington. I didn't see mr griz but his huge paw print was on top of my bootprint I had made just an hour earlier. A friends wife actually ran into one on Abercrombie this past saturday. I've seen plenty of grizzly bear scat in northern Idaho but so far, none of the bad boys themselves.



Another very nice page. Sorry to ramble on about the griz but I found your story " A grizzly approached my vehicle when I ascended Cascade Mountain from the same parking area. The Norquay Ski Resort summer caretaker had advised me of his presence and it was an ironic case of being in the wilderness all day and finding a grizzly back at the parking lot." a little unnerving.

Viewing: 1-10 of 10
Return to 'Mount Norquay' main page