Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 23, 2010
Activities Activities: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Fall

Fall day on Pugh

A few weeks ago i was bored so i got online and started making a list of all the mountains i wanted to do this year. Saturday opened up for me so i called a friend and we decided on Mt Pugh! There was a 50% chance of rain but we decided to take risk it. I left my house around 3:30am, picked up my my friend. We got to the trail head around 5:45am (which was easier to find then i heard).

At 6 we set out hiking by our flashlight. We couldnt see anything until we got to the lake at about 6:45am. It was just light enough for us to be able to see the mountain. The hike we pretty easy up to this point and after the lake was pretty flat. You get some pretty good views of the peaks around you, so it made the hike nice.

At around 9am we got to Stujack Pass and took a nice lunch break!
User Profile Image
User Profile Image
User Profile Image


We ate lunch for about 30min, started to get cold so we started up stujack pass! This is where we got to start seeing lots of good views. This part of the climb was the start of when it got step, and very very windy. But it was nice to be out of the trees!
User Profile Image
Sloan Peak


As we got over the pass my camera decided to die, so the rest of the pictures are with my phone.

After climbing through a few little trees, we came around a corner...and finally saw the big scramble.
User Profile Image


We crossed the knife edge and started the scramble, which we were excited for because neither of us had ever done and of this. There were a few hairy spots due to ice on the rocks, but we took it slow and it was a good experience.
Rock Scrambling


About 5 hours later we made it to the summit! At this point it had started to snow so we spent only a few minutes on the summit then headed out!
Top of Mount Pugh


This was a great climb, put this on the list and get it done asap! I will definitely go back in the future.


Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-8 of 8
LuminousAphid

LuminousAphid - Nov 1, 2010 11:45 am - Hasn't voted

Good job

Sounds like you did well, but I don't suggest this hike for people who "had never done any of this before," especially in the fall when cold and ice are getting to be a problem.

The scramble above Stujack Pass has significant exposure, and some loose sections which could result in a bad fall into steep, isolated territory. The hiking approach is also long, so just be prepared with extra clothes and emergency supplies at all times, but especially at this time of year.

bdizzle

bdizzle - Nov 1, 2010 7:19 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Good job

Thanks! i think if your smart and take it slow i think its fine, you just need to make sure you pack for possible overnight stay this time of year. And it was pretty hard to find the route a few time! great climb though, loved it!

EastKing

EastKing - Nov 2, 2010 12:20 pm - Voted 10/10

Bold!

Good job getting up Pugh in those kind of conditions. Ditto to the remarks above about Pugh but it great to see younger people taking advantage of the outdoors. You live in great area, being so close to Baring, Gunn and the rest of the Wild Sky Wilderness. Keep on climbing and I look forward to seeing your TR of Rainier in the next year or two!

bdizzle

bdizzle - Nov 2, 2010 7:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bold!

Thank you! Yeah i love this area, it makes for a big list! haha and yes Rainer is hopefully soon!!!

Tangeman

Tangeman - Nov 2, 2010 7:48 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice!

Definately a climb I want to do! Looks fun! (although maybe in slightly better conditions - looks slick)

bdizzle

bdizzle - Nov 2, 2010 8:52 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice!

haha yeah i would wait for better weather!!

gimpilator

gimpilator - Nov 7, 2010 6:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice Report

Pugh is great mountain. I bet you're one of the last people to climb it this year.

Have you considered attaching this report to the Mount Pugh page? More people will see it that way over the years.

bdizzle

bdizzle - Nov 7, 2010 8:40 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Nice Report

Didnt think about attaching it!! but now that i know i will! thanks!

Viewing: 1-8 of 8


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount PughTrip Reports