Mount Saint Helena Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 102
Domtron

Domtron - Oct 12, 2022 6:36 pm Date Climbed: Jan 29, 2022

Cute Little Hike  Sucess!

A well worn path will get you to the top.

Hiking Metal Maniac

Hiking Metal Maniac - Aug 15, 2022 2:29 am Date Climbed: May 1, 2021

May Day highest peak in the North Bay  Sucess!

Detoured on the way up to "Hole In The Rock" formation, which resulted in some bushwhacking to get back to the main trail / road. Hit Mount Saint Helena main summit, then the East Peak.

https://hikingmetalmaniac.blogspot.com/2021/05/mount-saint-helena.html

Will Newcomb

Will Newcomb - Feb 6, 2022 8:18 pm Date Climbed: Feb 6, 2022

Calistoga to Mt. Saint Helena! ⛰  Sucess!

My first DNF woohoo!! (in terms of out & back to car) - I totally underestimated how difficult this run would be, but wow what a fun learning experience and awesome run overall! Highlights from today were the ascent up Oat Hill Mine Trail, the insanely technical “single track” on Palisades Trail with wildflowers galore, and the summit views and descent from Mt. Saint Helena. Alas I ran out of water at the summit, but good samaritan Ben saved me by siphoning some of his extra water from his E-bike bottles. My DNF terminus was where there was absolutely no safe shoulder for me to continue running down HWY 29.

Scott Fulton

Scott Fulton - Nov 6, 2021 6:32 pm Date Climbed: Nov 6, 2021

Hiked it with a group of 45  Sucess!

45 of us from Ocean to Peak Adventures: Mountain Summit Challenge went on this hike. We also went over to the east summit to get to the approximate location of the Napa county highpoint.

colingregory

colingregory - Nov 23, 2020 1:10 pm Date Climbed: Nov 14, 2020

Dayhike  Sucess!

Easy dayhike in perfect weather. Combined with the county hp and the other 2 peaklets up there.

huskertriguy

huskertriguy - Jan 4, 2020 7:29 pm Date Climbed: Dec 27, 2019

Easy road hike  Sucess!

This was a quick trip to county highpoints for Yolo, Sonoma, Napa, Solano, Sacramento, and Yuba.

Standard route from the highway. I got a late start as my body finally told me I needed some sleep. For this hike I left the dogs in the car as they were pretty tuckered out from the day prior. (I'd read that dogs are not allowed in the state park, though on my way down I saw 3 goldens with a sizable group out for a stroll.)

It was busy -- I'd passed several pairs of what I had assumed were overnighters until I passed up the crag at the first road switchback, where a party of 8 were top-roping. After this point the traffic thinned out some.

The snow became more consistent at about 3600'. Hard pack from vehicle and foot traffic rendered it so that microspikes may come in handy, though I doubt I would have bothered with them if I had them on me. Right around the time I started on the snow I met an AT&T truck coming down, just below the east summit.

I hit each summit, though my time spent on each was brief, thanks to the temperature and wind, as well as the fact that I did not want to leave my dogs behind for too long. Views were fantastic: Lassen, Cobb, and Shasta to the north; Tam, Diablo, the Bay, and even downtown SF to the south.

It took 3 hrs 20 minutes round-trip. The dogs were still sleeping when I got back to the vehicle.

kaylam87

kaylam87 - Jul 4, 2017 10:51 am Date Climbed: Apr 1, 2017

Getting away from the snow  Sucess!

Hike with Nor Cal Women Adventurers on a warm spring day.

Fletch

Fletch - Oct 23, 2016 12:43 am Date Climbed: Oct 22, 2016

Marital bliss  Sucess!

With the Mrs. Great day out.

bodofzt

bodofzt - Aug 5, 2016 4:17 pm Date Climbed: Nov 11, 2014

St. Helena  Sucess!

Sadly, the valley was filled with fog the day I went there, so I didn't get much of the allegedly nice view.

boyblue

boyblue - Jun 21, 2016 5:25 pm Date Climbed: Jun 20, 2016

Finally!  Sucess!

This has been on my 'to do' list for nearly 4 decades!

A very hot (mid 90's to low 100's) hike with my wife, Nora. This peak completes her BSA 'Rim of the Bay' list. Congrats!

We celebrated with some world famous local Napa wine that evening in the hotel room. ;-)

Fairweather

Fairweather - Oct 25, 2015 8:59 pm Date Climbed: Dec 11, 2010

Trail - snow flurries on top  Sucess!

With John & Andy.
Very cloudy and cool.
No view for us.

jkantoline

jkantoline - Jun 23, 2015 1:49 am

Change of Pace  Sucess!

Loved this hike! A bit boring but my fiancee and I hit the summit and COHP. It was a nice change of scenery from our normal hikes. Boring fireroad but views were good from the top...right before a storm rolled in.

JimmyJazz

JimmyJazz - Jun 26, 2014 12:28 am Date Climbed: Jul 1, 1992

Via Fire Road  Sucess!

Date approximate. Not the prettiest route along the fire road, but a nice hike. If I did it again, I would do it in the spring or on a warm winter day.

BCL

BCL - Feb 22, 2014 10:38 pm Date Climbed: Feb 15, 2014

Rain!  Sucess!

Rain and clouds spoiled the views. Hit the main peak and COHP.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Jan 5, 2014 9:21 pm Date Climbed: Jan 5, 2014

Saint Helena  Sucess!

Did the main peak and the COHP. Pleasant hike, I like it. First peak(s) of 2014!

heyitsme

heyitsme - Jun 25, 2013 9:27 pm Date Climbed: Aug 1, 2012

st helena  Sucess!

Hot, exposed trail. Was nice workout though with good views. Could see Lassen or Shasta (?) from top. Lots of govt run stuff on top.

Larry Laverty

Larry Laverty - Mar 28, 2013 7:42 pm Date Climbed: Jun 5, 2008

Quiet Walk  Sucess!

I was always curious what the route was like up this little mountain. I guess its safe to say its basically your typical hillside fire road. My partner and I enjoyed the breeze at the top, had lunch, and headed for home.

calipidder

calipidder - Feb 18, 2013 8:53 pm Date Climbed: Feb 16, 2013

Easy day  Sucess!

Nice easy peak and a good change from my normal South Bay views. Crowds are a bit annoying down low on a nice day, and watch out crossing that road from the parking!

trexkerry - Jul 29, 2012 4:27 pm Date Climbed: Nov 12, 2011

Enjoyable day  Sucess!

Did Table Rock hike first to justify the 2 hour drive time each way. Not to tough, boring fire road but great views.

RoryKuykendall

RoryKuykendall - May 16, 2012 5:03 pm

I love this mountain  Sucess!

Climbed this as a kid with my dad in the 90s. I'd been wanting to climb it for years. It was the biggest mountain I could see as a kid growing up in the north bay. When we got to the top I was surprised to see that to the north there are even BIGGER mountains.

Viewing: 1-20 of 102
Return to 'Mount Saint Helena' main page