Mount Stone Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 30
12
Snowslogger

Snowslogger - Dec 7, 2023 2:15 pm Date Climbed: Jun 8, 1984

Snow and Rock  Sucess!

The way I went up I ended up kicked steps up a snow finger then stemming between snow and rock, then up. Seemed kind of tricky, then a father and kids followed me up no problem! Nice easy snow descent down.

Levi

Levi - Sep 23, 2022 9:52 pm Date Climbed: Jul 12, 2022

Fun scramble!   Sucess!

Lots of snow at lake of the angels. Spent a couple nights lakeside and made a summit of Stone. Went to the left at the base of the scramble. Got a bit off route before returning to find the right way. Straightforward and fun with an awesome view! Putvin trail is a good time!

huskertriguy

huskertriguy - Oct 23, 2018 5:50 pm Date Climbed: Oct 22, 2018

Beautiful late autumn day  Sucess!

Camped at Putvin TH, no facilities here, right on the road, not great for camping.

Woke at 530, packed up, moving at 630. Fairly steep section to start. Then level for awhile. Then steep again. Easy trail to follow until the big pond, unlabeled on my map but we heard called Pond of the False Prophet. From there you need to know which gully to ascend, it’s the bushy one, N-NE of the pond.

We ascended up scree almost to the base of the cliff face before traversing west and north and finally seeing the summit of Mount Stone for the first time. With 6 mountain goats on it -- who knows how much longer they will be around. They scattered with some encouragement.

Had summit block to ourselves. Did not see another soul outside our party from the highway to the summit and back, actually.

On the way down we took a different descent path, detouring to Lake of Angels, dilly dallied there a bit, and were back at the cars at 5pm.

jm141302

jm141302 - Aug 22, 2016 11:16 pm Date Climbed: Aug 21, 2016

Goat Detour  Sucess!

In perfect weather I started from the Putvin TH at 6:30am and got to the top at 9:10am. Normal route. I had to take a slight detour at the first climbing section on the west ridge saddle, because a huge goat seemed very uninterested in moving out of my path up. Instead, I went a little farther around, where the exposure increased but it was still easy up. I took a different way down, around the edge of the southern bowl, down some more and exited the first gully to the west of St. Peter's Gait. I wouldn't recommend going down this way. It wasn't any faster, and the rock was much worse.

scgrant

scgrant - Nov 11, 2015 10:18 pm Date Climbed: Aug 27, 2015

Mount Stone  Sucess!

Great hike, fun scramble.

Ian Culhane

Ian Culhane - Aug 7, 2014 1:58 am Date Climbed: Aug 6, 2014

LOA Route gone wrong  Sucess!

Quite an exciting scramble from Lake of Angels, especially when you have no topo, are in a whiteout the whole way up, and end up taking the wrong route. We took a grassy/scree covered slope from above LOA to reach Saint Peters gate, but somehow managed to cut right over the ridge too soon. After some fairly sketchy scrambling we reached the upper bowl and met up with the standard route. Got some glimpses of Hopper and Skokomish (Which we had just climbed) from the summit. On the way down we started out on the standard route, but once again took a wrong turn (found some sunglasses on the way though; they now replace the ones I lost on Hopper :P ). Ended up descending down several very steep gulleys and following the sound of the stream till we reached the lake. Would love to come back with better weather and a better idea of how to get to the correct route.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson - Sep 15, 2012 10:44 pm Date Climbed: Sep 15, 2012

Great peak and views  Sucess!

Being short on time because we had to meet people at the lake in the afternoon, we pushed ourselves hard all the way up the route, making it to the summit in 3 hours and 20 minutes from the car. We took the route up the right side of the block, which is marked with a large cairn, and found it to be pretty easy scrambling. Jumping in the lake before we headed down the rest of the way felt awesome.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Sep 3, 2012 11:02 pm Date Climbed: Sep 3, 2012

Third Times the Charm  Sucess!

Finally hit the summit on this one. Perfect day. 4 hr 45 up and 3 hrs 30 down. Back to Portland by 7:30 pm. Trip report to follow.

awilsondc

awilsondc - Aug 14, 2012 10:48 pm Date Climbed: Aug 12, 2012

Route Climbed: Route 1  Sucess!

Great solo scramble! I tried this one in 2008 but had trouble following the directions, wasted too much energy, and decided to call it a day without a successful summit. This time, I also had trouble following the directions to route 1. I feel like an idiot but I kept wanting to go up TO St. Peter's gate, instead of going TOWARDS it and turning left to go around the long band of cliffs. Once I finally figured it out it was a great climb. I love the different sections: putvin trail (steeeep), first basin, second basin, first class 3 block, and final summit block. I summited up via the left route on the final summit block which had better rock and was more enjoyable (to me at least). I descended via the right route (I agree, it's easier with less exposure). The way up took 4 hours and 15 minutes, with about 45 minutes of that being me stopping every 20 steps to question if I was on the right route heading up towards st. peter's gate.

The summit was great, lots of flying ants though, and the views were spectacular especially Skokomish! The way down was aided by a couple of glissade sections which are always appreciated and enjoyed. Stopped once to fill up water at a stream, 2 hours 30 minutes back to the car. Total of 7 hours, 9-10 miles (not really sure) and 5000 ft elevation gain.

santanoni

santanoni - Jan 13, 2012 12:08 pm Date Climbed: Jun 12, 2011

Snow and Ice abound, W ridge  Sucess!

Harder than anticipated, if only because there was some solid alpine ice getting onto the summit ridge, and then on parts of the summit itself. There was snow down to 2400 ft, making this a surprisingly snowy climb for mid June in the Olympics. Made the decent off the final ridge before the snow softened, which I was quite glad about.

IBentryn - Sep 18, 2011 2:14 pm

Split the Difference Approach  Sucess!

Hadn't been up Stone in years, since camping on the last flat below the summit - Awesome evening! Wanted to try the old route up the Boulder Creek road for fun. My buddy and I started up the gully as described in OMCG, but somehow blew through the road crossing. (Should have been watching the altimeter but assumed it would've been obvious.) Ended up visiting two beautiful little ponds at 4600' with a superb view of Jefferson and Pershing across the river. Continued on the north side of the southeast ridge before crossing through St. Peter's Gate and continuing on as normal.

Lunch and beer at Lake of the Angels on the way down. 14 goats! When will the NPS summon the stones to eliminate these non-native meadow-wreckers?!

Redwic

Redwic - Aug 21, 2010 11:09 pm Date Climbed: Aug 21, 2010

Nice Peak & Route  Sucess!

First, let me disspell the rumors and myths:
Do not take a passenger vehicle (i.e. low-clearance) beyond the current rough spot at 10.4 miles from Highway 101. The final "crux" move near the summit is YDS Class III (if on-route, to the right), and I actually thought several earlier sections of the route were more dangerous (for other reasons).

I did this trip with Gimpilator, Robbin, and Dave. The route was steep but enjoyable. A lot of great scenery. One our descent back to Lake Of The Angels, we saw one fisher and a herd of 11 mountain goats. Overall, a great trip and highly recommended summit. This was my 31st WA CoHP!

gimpilator

gimpilator - Aug 21, 2010 10:32 pm Date Climbed: Aug 21, 2010

17,000 Feet Of Gain In One Week  Sucess!

Dave, Robbin, Craig and I did Stone today. This was my third peak this week including Crater Mountain and Chikamin Peak. I had heard rumors about Class 4 near the summit but I think if you're on route it's only 3.

YEM

YEM - Oct 12, 2009 12:07 am Date Climbed: Oct 11, 2009

West Ridge  Sucess!

My favorite of the 3 eastern Olympic climbs this year. I camped at the lake and climbed up in the morning. It made for a much more enjoyable climb. I decided to save Skokomish for a return visit. This place deserves it!

TimmyC

TimmyC - Sep 17, 2009 8:02 pm Date Climbed: Sep 17, 2009

Lucky weather  Sucess!

Great weather for a hike. Did the West Ridge. HUUUUGE views today. Photos and trip report to come.

amochka

amochka - Aug 10, 2009 5:12 pm Date Climbed: Aug 9, 2009

A wet but fun day.  Sucess!

A very wet day, but interesting terrain and a fun group made it a good climb. A bit of routefinding, bush whacking and a lot of 'veggie belaying.' If there weren't trees on parts of the route, I have NO idea how we would have ascended a few of the muddy gullies we went up. Fun little pitch at the top. NO snow near the top or anywhere on the route. Fun salmon feast after.

mountainmatt

mountainmatt - Jul 22, 2009 12:19 pm Date Climbed: Jul 16, 2009

West Ridge Rambling  Sucess!

Wandered up from the saddle between Skokomish and Stone. Great view!!

Dennis Poulin

Dennis Poulin - Jul 15, 2009 12:36 pm Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2008

HOT DAY  Sucess!

Long day hike with Eric. Very hot weather and high humidity. Drank 8 liters of water. Still it was a fun scramble to get to the summit.

ericnoel

ericnoel - Aug 17, 2008 4:36 pm Date Climbed: Aug 16, 2008

SW Ridge with Erroneous Variation

Hot. So very very hot. Still, this is a nice peak with great flowers.

tleaf

tleaf - Mar 11, 2008 5:16 pm

Lovely Day  Sucess!

Ken Russell, Steve Lowrie and I headed up the Putvin trail on a beautiful September morning intent on finding route 1 up the south couloir. We found a couple of "possible" animal trails but no markings so ended up taking the tried and true way trail to Lake of the Angels ( I secretly wanted to go the the lake again anyway). We headed up the ridgeline from the lake towards St. Peter's Gate and headed left below the cliffs to the west ridge. A little scramble later and we were on top. Lovely day. I had been up the mountain many years ago but couldn't see a thing.

Viewing: 1-20 of 30
12
Return to 'Mount Stone' main page