Mount Waumbek Climber's Log

Viewing: 1-20 of 35
12
Jow

Jow - Apr 28, 2023 6:14 pm Date Climbed: Apr 28, 2023

Late April shoulder season hike  Sucess!

Beautiful spring day with mild temps, no wind, no bugs. Lower on mountain spring is starting, plenty of mud and flowing water and trees starting to Bud. Upper half still snow and ice and solid enough I didn’t posthole. Fun day out along with Starr King which is where views are

DaveW3D

DaveW3D - Jul 8, 2022 4:38 pm Date Climbed: Jul 3, 2022

4th of July Weekend  Sucess!

The parking lot was full of out of state plates so I received the added pleasure of walking up the dirt road to the trailhead. The climb is simple and straightforward. About a mile from the top you catch a nice view at Mt Starr King. After that a quick 1 mile hike leads you to a less pleasant view at the actual summit of Waumbek. Not my favorite hike, but another 4k off my list. Happy hiking!

Grampahawk

Grampahawk - Sep 12, 2017 4:23 pm Date Climbed: Jun 8, 1994

done  Sucess!

I did this one many years ago. Not one of my favorite hikes though

joseyinnet

joseyinnet - Mar 19, 2017 8:19 pm Date Climbed: Mar 19, 2017

easy hike through the snow  Sucess!

Nice views on a perfect last day of winter. 20 degrees and sunny.

knoli234

knoli234 - Oct 12, 2016 10:43 am Date Climbed: Sep 5, 2016

First 4k  Sucess!

First 4k after hearing of the NH48. Not a terribly strenuous trail. Most of it is in the trees but it is peaceful and there is a good view close to the summit.

technicolorNH

technicolorNH - Apr 16, 2016 10:52 pm Date Climbed: Apr 15, 2016

Shorts and microspikes  Sucess!

Two hours to the top over Starr King and twenty minutes less than that to go back down. Two ladies I met at the trailhead had to turn around because they lacked traction devices. The ice on the trail was two feet thick in a couple of spots.

Kankdip12 - Nov 26, 2015 11:25 pm Date Climbed: May 24, 2015

Waumbeck  Sucess!

Easy 4Ker

Flanders

Flanders - Dec 27, 2014 3:32 pm Date Climbed: Sep 26, 2014

EZ 4000'  Sucess!

Not much to this one, quick up and down.

Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Oct 6, 2014 2:22 am Date Climbed: Sep 26, 2014

First of the Trip  Sucess!

Flew in to Manchester this morning and headed up from the airport. Hit Starr King first and then Waumbek. Easy start to the trip.

JRaphaelson

JRaphaelson - Jul 5, 2014 9:52 pm Date Climbed: Jul 5, 2013

Cabot and Waumbek  Sucess!

Double day of Waumbek, Cabot, The Horn, The Bulge, and Starr King. Lovely views and lovely weather for the 4th weekend!

sredfern

sredfern - Dec 28, 2013 9:06 pm Date Climbed: Sep 12, 2011

Part of a 3-day peakbagging trip  Sucess!

Climbed this with my friend Pete on a very cool but muggy day after hitting Mt Cabot earlier in the day and Isolation before that. The next morning we drove to Franconia Notch and hiked in to summit Owl's Head as well on a beautiful, sunny fall day!

MelNino

MelNino - Oct 16, 2011 9:53 pm Date Climbed: Oct 12, 2011

Not my fave peak  Sucess!

We had bailed on this hike in June, due to injury and illness. I think this mtn hates us, for though we were successful this time, we were injured and ill again. This peak was my #11 4000er.

Jerry L

Jerry L - Aug 19, 2010 4:08 pm Date Climbed: Aug 18, 2010

Done  Sucess!

Starr King Trail.

TinMan61 - Jun 29, 2010 5:59 am Date Climbed: Jun 13, 2010

Pleasant Day  Sucess!

Took the starr King Trail. A pleasant walk in the woods. The weather was humid and the bugs ferocious. Saw some small squirrels and some very comfortable chipmunks. Rain stayed away and a very nice day.

TLP

TLP - Jan 19, 2009 7:47 am Date Climbed: Sep 23, 2008

an enjoyable hike  Sucess!

I took the starr king trail up. I liked the little clearing where they have the old stove. when i was coming back down some guys were leading a pack of dogs up. like 20 dogs. there were even more dogs waiting in a truck at the trailhead. release the hounds! some a-hole was doing somehting with a chainsaw early in the morning when i started. they should set the dogs on him.

nartreb

nartreb - Oct 22, 2008 11:45 am Date Climbed: Oct 18, 2008

#48  Sucess!

via Starr King trail; continued along KKR for a while taking in the partial views.

KKR is addictive, hard to force myself to turn around.

Very pleasant walk in the woods, briefly met a bear on the trail and of course a couple of grey jays on Starr King. Plus chipmunks, chickadees, woodpeckers, juncos, blue jays, and spruce grouse.

Tahawus

Tahawus - Aug 12, 2008 7:09 pm Date Climbed: Sep 30, 2007

Mount Waumbek  Sucess!

Climbed via the Kilkenny Ridge Trail from Jefferson. An excellent fall dayhike. There was a flock of Grey Jays on Starr King and the view from the open area below the summit were better than expected. Not much to see further on though.

dirth

dirth - Jul 10, 2008 12:25 am Date Climbed: Jul 9, 2008

Adventurous Day  Sucess!

Hot and humid on the way up. As soon as we hit Starr King torrential rain and thunderstorms. Poured on us all the way across the ridge to Waumbek and all the way back down. When we got down a huge tree (easily three feet in circumference) had fallen across the short road out from the parking lot. I had to go down to a house and ask them to call someone to come help move it. i.e. someone with a chainsaw. Overall not the most exciting hike, but the trail was very well maintained and it would have been pleasant on a less humid and stormy day.

bewencher

bewencher - Feb 25, 2008 6:04 pm Date Climbed: Feb 24, 2008

Most perfect day!  Sucess!

Perfect weather all the way around! Great trail and well packed down (didn't need snowshoes). We took our sleds (Swiss Bobs) for the trip down and it was so much fun (5 hours RT w/ the fast decent)! Awesome day!

eric-griz

eric-griz - Dec 1, 2007 11:01 am Date Climbed: Aug 5, 2001

A nice uncrowded hike  Sucess!

Hiked up and down this mountain before meeting my parents at Franconia Notch.

Viewing: 1-20 of 35
12
Return to 'Mount Waumbek' main page