Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.97800°N / 73.072°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3748 ft / 1142 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The firetower on Glastenbury....
The firetower.

This is a wooded peak with gentle slopes tucked away in the Green Mountains of Vermont and has a fire-tower-turned-lookout on the summit. Unfortunately since 2003 the lookout is closed. Goddard Shelter has been replaced with one of the same design possibly to be named Keenan. At least that is what the memorial plaque inside declares. Completely unforested and grassland for profitable sheep-herding 150 years ago, the forest has returned and now new stands of trees cover it's slopes.

I believe it is the 9th highest summit in Vermont. The fire-tower is off limits, but from the top four states could be seen and endless rows of mountains like the Adirondacks, the Tactonics and the Berkshires.

The summit is traversed by the famous Long Trail of Vermont. The same treadway is also a small part of the Appalachian National Scenic Trail. This ensures that not just locals get to enjoy this mountain.

Long & Appalachian Trails

The Long & Appalachian Trails are long distance backcountry hiking trails. In the southern part of the state the two trails coincide. Just beyond route 4 at Sherburne Pass the trails diverge. The LT continues north to the Canadian border and the AT turns east toward Maine. The Long Trail is totally contained within Vermont while the mighty Appalachian Trail spans 14 states from Georgia to Maine.

The US has a well organized and active long distance community and both these paths see lots of use by backpackers hiking the whole trail in one season. About 70 people per year successfully complete the LT and become End to Enders. 2,000 - 3,000 backpackers per year attempt to thruhike the entire AT in 4-8 months. Estimates vary but approximately 10% - 20% succeed. In 2005 AT hopefuls were about 1000 people less but the success rate shot up to around 25%.

For more information on the mountains along the trails please visit:
Long Trail Mountains
Appalachian Trail Mountains

For more information on the organizations behind the trails please visit:
Green Mountain Club and LT website
Appalachian Trail Conservancy and AT website

Getting There

Trailheads

VT 9 Forest Service TH: This trailhead is on route 9 between the cities of Bennington and Wilmington. From downtown Bennington (rt 7) travel east about 5 miles. From Wilmington travel west 8.8 miles past the VT 8 junction. The parking lot is on the north side of the highway. The white blazed LT/AT is just to the east.

Branch Street Extension TH: From Bennington go 1 mile north on VT 7 from the VT7/9 intersection. At Kocher Drive travel east about 1 mile to a small parking lot with a blue blazed utility pole. There is a power line crossing here.

The following is good info too:
Author: intrepidhiker
Date: June 03, 2005 10:52 PM
Responding to one of the comments about Glastonbury - no, there are few to no shorter ways in. It's a straight 10.1 miles from the south (Route 9) and 12.2 from Stratton-Arlington road (actually West Wardsboro road). The only loop trail option is to go from the south to the summit, then the West Ridge Trail (7.8 miles) to the junction with the east trail to Bald Mountain. (About 21 miles in all and one of my longer day hikes)

Red Tape

There are no permits, fees, or other red tape. The shelters are first come, first served.

When To Climb

Stormy skies on the Long...

Year around! The trails to the summit are well marked and easy to follow. It can be skiied, snow-shoed, or postholed in winter. Be aware that this peak is somewhat remote. Be prepared.

Also consider that during droughts the water supply at Goddard has been known to dry up.

Camping

The old Goddard Shelter .3...
The old Goddard Shelter. The new one is very similar

Camping is allowed in all areas, provided that you camp at least 150 ft away from any trail or water supply. Around the Goddard Shelter it is best that you camp at the designated sites because of the delicate vegetation.

Shelters:
Melville Nauheim on LT near the VT 9 trailhead
Goddard at the junction of the LT and West Ridge Trail .3 miles south of the summit
Kid Gore and Caughnawaga shelters 4 miles north of summit on the LT
Story Spring on LT 8.6 miles north of the summit.

No fees should be paid for using the shelter or camping.

Carbohydrate replacement therapy

You're back at the trailhead and your thoughts naturally turn to food and drink. Where do you go?

Good question. I am not familiar with the area so please post suggestions here and I will incorporate them into the main text. Thanks.

Thanks intrepidhiker for the following.

Highly Recommended pre-hike eating: The Blue Benn Diner for breakfast heading north on Route 7 in Bennington; The Top Notch Diner just as you're entering Bennington on Route 9; Dot's Diner in Wilmington on Route 7 and 100.

Also, Jensen's on Route 7 heading north on Bennington for dinner.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1

royswkr - Apr 15, 2006 2:13 pm - Hasn't voted

shorter ways to fire tower

The fire tower has been restored and you can climb it again There are several shorter ways up Glastenbury, but they require more navigational skill than just following white blazes: * Old route of Long Trail due S from Goddard Shelter * Hike woods road shown on USGS map to W shoulder * Hike ATV trail from Macintyre shown on USFS version of USGS map * Hike ATV trail from E (haven't done this personally) There was an article in the Appalachian Trailway News a few years ago about a couple who did the AT as day hikes, Glastenbury was one of the longest and midway they met 2 rangers who came in one of the short cuts!

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.