Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.05050°N / 13.24950°E
Additional Information Elevation: 10649 ft / 3246 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The Ankogel is situated in the Ankogel Group, part of the Hohe Tauern but is not the highest mountain of this massive. Highest point is Hochalmspitze (3360 m).

Four valleys surround this mountain group :
- Mölltal in the south-west
- Maltatal in the south-east
- Gasteinertal and
- Grossarltal in the North.

The 15 km distant Grosser Sonnblick in the eastern Hafner Gruppe in the last 3000 m peak of the Alps in eastern direction.
Ankogel is an easy mountain to climb thanks to the cable car of Mallnitz; nevertheless the Ankogel area is not overcrowded with people !


Getting There


Startpoint of the normal route is Mallnitz.
Other startpoints :
- Badgastein
- Maltatal

To reach Mallnitz:
Mallnitz is situated in the North of Carinthia.
From Lienz: Lienz-Winklern-Obervellach-Mallnitz (+-60km.)
From Spittal: Spittal-Obervellach-Mallnitz (+-40km.)
From Klagenfurt: Klagenfurt-Villach-Spittal-Obervellach-Mallnitz (+-120km.)
From Munich there are different roads: the shortest one is the route with the traintunnel: Munich-Salzburg-Badgastein-Böckstein-Mallnitz.

To reach Badgastein :
From Munich over Salzburg, Bischofshofen, Gasteinertal, Badgastein

To Maltatal :
From Spittal, Gmünd, Maltatal , Speicher Sameralm (dam and endpoint of the road)


Red Tape


You can take a gondola in Mallnitz. The gondola is not opened on Monday in summer. The openinghours are 9h.-16.20h. The gondola brings you firts to the middlestation (1989m.) and than you have to take an other gondola that brings you to the topstation (+-2650m.).

Author: seba_mallnitz
Date: Aug 17, 2005 08:34 AM
Kärnten Card doesn't offer free entrance no more. It offers a reduction of 50% on the price.

Toll for the use of the Maltatal Road.
The Ankogel is situated in the National Park Hohe Tauern so don't disturb the environment!

Routes Overview


1) From Hannoverhaus 3 hours. Normal SW ascent.
Follow first the Goslarer-Weg (path). At a crossway near a big stone, go to the left direction Ankogel. First to Radeckscharte und then up to the Klein (little)Ankogel at 3097 Meters. The principal summit is reached after a short ridge traverse. This tour is easy and short (4 to 4 h 1/2 return)

2) From Osnabrücker Hütte 4 hours
Take the path number 502 near the Pfahlbach till unter the Waterfall und steeper (slippery) to the Fallboden. Then direction north (signs) to the two Schwarzhorn lakes and to the Zwischenelendscharte (means "big misery pass",2675 m). Over rocks to the south and at 2800 m take feet on the glacier. You can also reach this place direct from the lakes. Climb over the glacier near the rocks to the Sattel (3190 m) near the summit. An easy climb (I) over the ridge leads to the summit. The cross stand a little bit lower.

3) Ski posibilities : see Skiing to Radeck Alm


When To Climb


The Mountain is usually climbed in summer.
You will have to check if you want climb the Ankogel in winter!
The best months are June till September.
You have to pass one glacier, that can be made without a rope.

Huts


- Hannoverhaus 2.719 m, nearest town Mallnitz, built 1911, extended 1966, open begin of Juli to end September, 35 Beds, 35 Lager, 10 Notlager, Winteroom open, 6 Lager (emergency), power 220 V
Owner: DAV - Sektion Hannover, Ellernstr. 16, D-30175
Hannover, Tel. +49(511)282131
Reservations: Anton Fleissner-Rieger, postlagernd, A-9822 Mallnitz, Tel. +43(664)1845463
To get to Hannoverhaus:
- from Mallnitz with Ankogelseilbahn (cable-car), the hut is 80 m higher (!).
- by feet from Mallnitz 5 - 6 hours
- from the valley cable-car station 4 - 5 hours
- from Böckstein (Gasteinertal, 3 km after Badgastein) over Korntauern (Göttinger Weg) 6 hours.

- Osnabrückerhütte 2.032 m, nearest town Gmünd, 1st Hut built in1899, destoyed by avalanche in 1929, 2d Hut built 1931, extended 1979|80,
Open from begin of Juli bis end of September, 31 Beds,
34 Lager, 12 Notlager, Winterroom 14 Lager,
Owner : DAV - Sektion Osnabrück, Eduard-Pestel-Str.
2, D-49080 Osnabrück Tel. +49(541)99660
Reservations : Familie Fleissner-Unterweger, A-9854 Malta|Kärnten, Postfach,
privat: A-9821 Obervellach Nr. 195, Tel. +43(4783)211-139-159
+43(663)9748703
To get to Osnabrücker Hütte :
- from Gmünd -Maltatal -(Car-Park) Kölnbreinsperre (tollgate) - Uferstrasse 2 hours.
- from Mallnitz -Bergstation Ankogelbahn -Großelendscharte 4 Std.

Panorama


From the high summit of the Ankogel in the most eastern part of the high Tauern, you have naturally a fantastic panorama : views to Wilder Kaiser, to the Gesaeuse, to the Grossglockner, to the Karawanken and the Amperzemer Dolomites.


Webcam


There's a webcam available:

Ankogel

Climbing History


Auttor : Mathias Zehring
Ankogel is a milestone in the history of alpinism: it is considered as one of the first high mountain of the Alps that has been climbed: around the year 1762 by a local peasant named "Patschg".
Among the next climbers was Peter Carl Thurwieser (1822) and archduke (Erzherzog) Johann of Austria (1826). All first climbers started at Boeckstein (village above Badgastein), slept at the Radeckalm pasture and climbed the Radeckscharte pass to gain today's normal route.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Ankogel GROUPMountains & Rocks