Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.82720°N / 71.8853°W
Additional Information Elevation: 2048 ft / 624 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Heading from the north...More views along the way


Holt Peak is a major landmark on the Wapack Trail, the oldest interstate trail in the United States. It lies as the highest point on Temple Mountain and the third highest summit on the trail (Pack Monadnock, and North Pack Monadnock are first and second respectfully). Though views are limited at best on the summit of Holt Peak there are plenty of fine view to be seen on the journey to this summit from either the north or the south.

Taken during the hike to the...Along the way up the mountain


Getting to summit is easy from either the north or the south. The Wapack trail never leaves Class 1 and there are plenty of views both ways. The best views are on the north side from the top of the ski area. Pack Monadnock and North Pack Monadnock are in the foreground with the Uncunoonucs and Joe English Hill in the background.

Getting There

VIA WAPACK TRAIL FROM THE NORTH: Take NH 101 to the Temple Mountain Ski Area (which as of 2003 is not operating presently). turn the the Temple Ski and hike up the ski hills, eventually to reach the top of the ski area. From the top of the ski area look for a large sign pointing to the Wapack Trail. The trail here is very well blazed.

VIA THE WAPACK TRAIL FROM THE SOUTH: From Peterbourgh take NH 123 south to the small village of Sharon. Once past Sharon make a left on Greenleaf Road and take the road all the way to the parking area. Wapack Trail will be marked in yellow blazes.

Red Tape

No fees in summer. However if Temple becomes operational again except fees to be applied in winter.

When To Climb

It can be climbed in the summer and winter. If Temple Mountain reopens though except fees for trail use. Snowshoes are needed for winter hiking. It would be advised not to hike in April due to mud season and trail erosion. In June it is black fly season so bring bug repellent.

Camping

Camping is not permitted on this stretch of the Wapack Trail. However there are plenty of bed and breakfast nearby.

Mountain Conditions

Coming soon

Summit Picture Log

Post your summit mugshot here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Monadnock RegionMountains & Rocks