Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.98610°N / 116.1347°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5457 ft / 1663 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


This is a popular short hike in Joshua Tree National Park because of the spectacular views of the park and Southern California's highest peaks; San Jacinto and San Gorgonio. If you need a break from the extensive rock climbing available, try this short but fun hike to the parks most central highpoint. The sweeping 360 degree views allow you to see other areas in the park such as Jumbo Rocks, White Tank, and the Lost Horse Mountains.
Distance: 3 miles RT
Elev. Gain: 1100 ft
Difficulty: Class 1

Getting There


-Take I-10 east past Banning to the intersection with SR 62.
-Go north on SR 62 to the Park Road in the town of Joshua Tree with a sign "Joshua Tree National Park". Turn right.
-Drive 16 miles on this road to the intersection with the Keys View Road. Keep left.
-Continue 2.0 miles farther to a large parking lot on the right. Park here.
See the Official Park Map for more details within the park or the Regional Map for alternate directions.

Red Tape


You must pay the National Park Entrance Fee
Walk-in: $5 for 7 days
Vehicle: $10 for 7 days
12 Months: $25
National Park Yearly Pass: $50

No permit required to hike this mountain.

When To Climb


Not a good idea in summer unless you love the scorching temperatures!
The best time is October-May since desert temperatures can easily top out over 100 degrees.

Camping


You can find camping information at the Joshua Tree Official NPS Site
Ryan Campground is the closest non-reservable campsite and the as Sheep Pass Campground requires advance reservations.
My favorite site is White Tank as it has some cool boulders to climb around on when you are in camp.

Mountain Conditions


To check weather conditions see the Joshua Tree Webcam from Belle Mountain looking southeast.
Also see
Joshua Tree NP Weather forecast for the extended forecast.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
tarol

tarol - Jan 1, 2008 8:01 pm - Voted 10/10

New fee info

It's $15 per vehicle now for JOTR The Interagency Annual Pass (replaced the NP Pass) is now $80

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.