Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.82000°N / 111.7932°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4964 ft / 1513 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Cathedral Rock was once named Courthouse Butte. USGS made a mistake by putting the wrong name on the map and switched Courthouse Butte with Cathedral Rock. So now this is Cathedral Rock. The other is now Courthouse Butte.

Cathedral Rock is one of the predominant landmarks in the Sedona area. It’s on postcards and is one of the most photographed features in Arizona. They are some of the most beautiful and magnificent mountains in Arizona.

The Red Rocks Sedona area has probably more climbs than any other city in the nation. This place could easily be a paradise for rock climbers. But they are the worst climbs in America. The rock is all crumbly sandstone, a rock climber’s nightmare. Cathedral Rock is not exempt from this. Just as beautiful they are, they are dangerous. Cathedral Rock sticks up just over 900 feet from Oak Creek. The first 600 feet of the climb is on a trail with minimal climbing. The last 360 feet is up crumbly sandstone. This is some of the worst rock to climb on in the nation. There have been those that attempted these spires and have died trying. There are many climbs that can be done on these rocks, and none of them are safe. There are many people that climb up to the rocks, but only few actually attempt to climb them. These rocks are not recommended to be climbed. Even if you do the first 600 feet, the hike is worth it and the views are breathtaking. Hiking distance one way is only 0.7 miles.

Getting There

From the 89A and 179 junction, take 179 3.4 miles to Back-O’ Beyond road. Follow it for 4.1 miles. You will see a parking area to your left.

Red Tape

$5 per vehicle per day. If you walk in then it's only $1.

When To Climb

Summer is not recommended. It’s too hot. Autumn-Spring is the best time. These rocks will occasionally get snow on them in the winter.

Camping

There is none in the direct area. The closest campsites are in Oak Creek Canyon. There is a fee to camp.

Mountain Conditions








Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Red Rocks-Sedona AreaMountains & Rocks