Mount Wolverine & Mount Tuscarora

Mount Wolverine & Mount Tuscarora

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.58510°N / 111.6011°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10795 ft / 3290 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Wolverine is a peak that is often overlooked in the area. From the road, it is hidden behind Mount Millicent, and from Catherine Lake, it doesn't look like much more than a giant mound, but this peak has a lot to offer. Besides having nice views of upper Big and Little Cottonwood Canyons, this peak can provide a good workout and is easily accessible from either canyon for hiking, snow climbing in its rugged cirque, or backcountry skiing. Mt Tuscarora shares many of the same qualities and is only a short jaunt away along the ridgeline.

Getting There

Driving time from downtown Salt Lake City is approximately 50 minutes.
From I-15 southbound near downtown Salt Lake City, follow these directions
I-15 S toward LAS VEGAS/CHEYENNE. 8.3 miles
Take the I-215 exit- exit number 302- toward BELT ROUTE. 0.2 miles
Merge onto I-215 E via the exit- on the left- toward SKI AREAS. 5.1 miles
Take the 6200 SO. exit- exit number 6- toward SKI AREAS/SOLITUDE / BRIGHTON/SNOWBIRD / ALTA. 0.2 miles
Take the ramp toward SKI AREAS/SOLITUDE / BRIGHTON/SNOWBIRD / ALTA. 0.1 miles
Turn RIGHT onto UT-190 E/E 6200 S. Continue to follow UT-190 E. 1.6 miles
Turn LEFT onto E BIG COTTONWOOD CANYON RD/UT-190. 14.0 miles
End at Brighton UT
Alternatively, you can continue past the intersection with Big Cottonwood Canyon RD, and follow Wastach BLVD over to Little Cottonwood Canyon. Provided that you don't make any turns off of the main road, you will eventually drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon to Alta Ski Resort. To begin directly at the trailhead, one must drive past the resort and up to the hikers parking in Albion Basin (see Red Tape Section).

Red Tape

None. Big Cottonwood Canyon and Little Cottonwood Canyon occasionally close due to avalanche dangers, but this is only during and immediately following some large snow storms.

If you are approaching from Little Cottonwood Canyon, you can park free in the Alta Ski lot, which is about 2 miles from the trailhead. If you want to start at the trailhead, you must continue up the road to Albion Basin. This road is closed in the winter, and a small fee of (TBA) is required to drive up it.

 

When To Climb

This peak is best climbed as a snowclimb or backcountry ski climb in late winter to early spring. It is best hiked in the fall once daytime temperatures are lower. The Wolverine Cirqu could provide some interesting opportunities for some steep spring snowclimbs up the chutes that penetrate the cliffs.

Camping

There are many walk-in campgrounds in Big Cottonwood Canyon. Alternatively, free camping is permitted in the nearby Mt Olympus, Broads Fork Twin Peaks, or Lone Peak Wilderness areas as long as it is done at least 100 ft away from trails.

 

Mountain Conditions

Wasatch-Cache National Forest

Brighton Ski Resort

Utah Avalanche Center

The Avalanche Center

Wasatch Mountain Club

External Links

Silver Lake Trail



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.