Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.76240°N / 110.8568°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12055 ft / 3674 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kletting Peak as viewed from...
As Seen from the Highway


Kletting Peak is a relatively easily climbed 12,000+ foot summit, located near the western edge of the High Uintas Primitive Area of northeastern Utah.

The summit is located approximately 2 miles along the ridge extending north from the summit of Hayden Peak, and is also a close neighbor of A-1 Peak, which is located 1.25 miles along the ridge to the east.

A hike to the summit of Kletting Peak can be made either as a day hike, or an enjoyable and scenic backpacking trip.

From the summit are excellent views to the south of Hayden Peak, the Kermsuh Lake basin, Bald Mountain, and the Mirror Lake area. To the east are views of numerous higher summits extending into the center of the High Uintas.

Kletting Peak is located in the Kamas Ranger District of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest.

With 515 feet of prominence, the peak ranks as #106 on the list of Utah 12,000+ foot peaks with 200+ feet of prominence, as compiled by Scott Patterson.

USGS Quads:

  • Christmas Meadow, Utah (1:24k)
  • Hayden Peak, Utah (1:24k)

    Getting There

     
    View from the summit looking...
    Summit View Looking East

    Virtually all approaches to Kletting Peak are accessed by way of Utah State Highway 150, heading either south from Evanston, Wyoming, or north from Kamas, Utah.

    The shortest route to the summit of Kletting Peak is by way of the West Face Direct route. Two slightly longer routes include the South Ridge via Hayden Fork and the Hell Hole Basin route.

    Another possible route to the summit would be the south face, approached from the Kermsuh Lake area. Please post a route description if you have climbed Kletting Peak from this approach.

    Red Tape

     
    View from the summit looking...
    Summit View Looking South

    Kletting Peak is approached by way of the Mirror Lake Scenic Byway, a 42-mile section of road located between Kamas, Utah, and Evanston, Wyoming. All motor vehicles parked in this area must display a valid recreation pass. These passes may be purchased at the trailhead (self-service), or at various other self-service locations along Highway 150.

    Fees are $6.00 per day, $12.00 per week, or $45.00 annually.

    When To Climb

    The normal summer hiking season in the Uintas runs from July through September, but may vary considerably depending upon the previous season snowpack and the first significant snowfall of the season.

    Camping

    Numerous campgrounds are located along nearby State Highway 150. The campgrounds nearest the summit include (from north to south):
  • Hayden Fork
  • Beaver View
  • Sulphur
  • Butterfly
  • Mirror Lake
  • Moosehorn

    Suitable locations for backcountry campsites near the peak are located in the Hell Hole Lake and Kermsuh Lake basins.

    Mountain Conditions

    Links to local weather, road conditions, and fire information can be found on the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest website.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.