Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.40180°N / 112.4332°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12122 ft / 3695 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Baldy Peak is also known as Mount Baldy, depending on which map you are looking at. Locals also know the peak as Beaver Baldy. The name Baldy Peak will be used here, if only for the fact that there are already quite a few Mount Baldy's in Utah. The peak is within the Tushar mountains and located east of Beaver, Utah and West of Marysvale, Utah and about 190 miles south of Salt Lake City.

The Tushar Mountains, which at over 12,000 feet are the third-highest mountain range in the state (behind the Uintas and the La Sals) rise from Beaver and I-15 at unbelievable angles and, in afternoon sun, are visible from over 100 miles. When driving I-15 Baldy Peak can clearly be seen popping up on the eastern mountain range.

The range is under the management of Fishlake National Forest and a popular spot, especially in the summer. Baldy Peak is the least climbed of the 12,000+ foot peaks in the Tushars.

Utah's 12,000+ Foot Peaks With 200+ Feet Prominence

Utah's 12,000+ Foot Peaks With 300+ Feet Prominence

Mount Baldy as seen from the...Mount Baldy as seen from the summit of Belknap.

Getting There

Beaver
From I-15 take Exit 112 and head east and south into the town of Beaver 1.5 miles to state route 153 (Elk Meadows signage). Take left and follow for 16 miles, turn left onto dirt road (Big John Flats). Follow dirt road for 9.9 miles and a sharp switchback to the right. Plenty of parking for about four cars.

Marysvale

From the intersection on Route 89 and bullion Ave head east .60 miles to Beaver Creek road. Turn right onto Beaver Creek road and follow for about 14.5 miles to a sharp switchback to the left. Plenty of parking for about four cars.

I-70

From I-70 take exit 17, get on the north side of I-70 and follow dirt road (Kimberly Road) southwest while paralleling I-70 and than crossing under it while now driving in a southerly direction for about 13.5 miles to an intersection with Beaver Creek road. Turn right onto Beaver Creek Road and follow for about 5.25 miles to a sharp switchback to the left. Plenty of parking for about four cars.

Baldy from the south while...Baldy from the south while apporaching on Beaver Creek Road.

Routes Overview

The route along the ridge from Mount Belknap may be the most popular route.

There is another route from Blue Lake that makes a nice loop of Baldy and Belknap. I will add the route when time is available.

Baldy as seen from the east...Baldy as seen from the east looking west.

Red Tape

No permits are required.

When To Climb

Summer and Fall are the easiest times since Beaver Creek Road is open. In winter, the road may be plowed to the old Elk Meadows Ski Resort, and no farther. In winter, climbing Baldy Peak is a 3-4 day affair.

Baldy as seen from Delano,...Baldy as seen from Delano, looking north.

Camping

Campgrounds

Mahogany Grove Campsites

Primitive Camping

There is plenty of camping areas throughout the Big John Flats area.

Mountain Conditions

TUSHAR MOUNTAINS WEATHER FORECAST

Below is the climate summary for nearby Elk Meadows at 10,450 feet elevation, and near the trailheads. These are all averages, so expect more variation, but this will give you a good idea about the climate at higher elevations in the area. *National Weather Service Data.


MONTHHIGH LOWPRECIP (in)SNOWFALL (in)
JAN2615.5169.9
FEB2944.3161.5
MAR3474.5564.9
APR43143.8845.7
MAY52213.6523.6
JUN63301.193.0
JUL69382.380
AUG67362.920
SEP61282.114.8
OCT50191.7317.6
NOV3692.5735.2
DEC2733.6648.8

Credits

Original submitter for this page was SP member Grandwazoo.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Tushar MountainsMountains & Rocks