Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 32.12400°N / 107.621°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7448 ft / 2270 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Florida Mountains are located in southern New Mexico. These rugged desert mountains rise abruptly from the desert plains about ten miles southeast of Deming. Located adjacent to Interstate 10, they are seen by many people and are very prominent in the area. Most of the range is located on BLM land. The Florida Mountains have two highpoints: a North Highpoint and a South Highpoint. The South Highpoint is designated as Florida Peak, and has an elevation of 7,448'. For years it was assumed that this was the range highpoint. However, more recent measurements have indicated that the North Highpoint, which has no name, is virtually the same height as Florida Peak, and may actually be higher.

With an elevation of 7,448', the Florida Mountains rank way down on the New Mexico elevation list. But the new field of Prominence had made the Florida Mountains a more important objective. With a prominence of 3,198', they're big enough to make an impressive appearance on the New Mexico Prominence Map.

Getting There

From Deming, drive south on NM 11 for five miles, then go east on NM 141 for nine miles to Rockhound State Park. Once at the park turnoff, do not turn left to go to the park, but continue southeast on the paved road a short distance. You will then reach an intersection. The paved road heads right towards Spring Canyon, but you will go straight ahead on a good dirt road that goes through Florida Gap.

The Florida Gap separates the Florida Mountains to the south from the Little Florida Mountains to the north. Continue on the road as it heads for the northeast side of the Florida Mountains. You will pass by a sign that says no trespassing, but that only applies to the land on the side of the road, not the road itself. Just past the sign, you will arrive at a switchback curve in the road. About a half-mile past the switchback, you will see a rough dirt road that heads southwest up Windmill Canyon. Park here. High clearance vehicles may be able to drive further up the road.

Red Tape

No permits are required to climb in the Florida Mountains.

Camping

Rockhound State Park is a well-developed campground. You can also camp at the parking area.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
WildmanDallas

WildmanDallas - Jan 12, 2006 4:14 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

The mountains are best viewed from the west with a field of red chile in the foreground (I'll post that shot when I can find it!)

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.