Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.95600°N / 115.536°W
Additional Information Elevation: 6988 ft / 2130 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Providence Mountains



Fountain Peak is a superb desert peak in the providence mountain range located in the Mojave National Preserve in south eastern California. The peak is mainly comprised of Volcanic Rhyolite which gives the peak it's redish color. From the summit, views of the surrounding desert are spectacular in all directions. Desert Bighorn sheep are very common in the Providence range although the very shy and elusive animals are rarely seen by visitors. This is rugged country, and hiking is difficult with objective hazards like no trail, cactus spines a plenty, and loose talus.

Getting There

Exit from U.S. Interstate 40 at Essex Road.
If driving from the west, Essex road is 50 miles east of Ludlow.
If driving from the east Essex road is 56 miles west of Needles.

Go north on Essex road and drive 16 miles following signs to Mitchell Caverns State Park. Park in the visitor center parking area.
Map

Begin the hike on the Crystal Spring trail which starts behind the visitor center. The trail ends at Crystal Spring, from here begin crosscountry up to the top of the canyon, from there follow the ridge northward to the peak. Be prepared for some class 3 scrambling on loose talus near the summit. It's about 4 miles round-trip and 2750' elevation gain.

Red Tape

Mitchell Caverns is a State Park and charges a $5.00 per vehicle fee to park in the lot. Envelopes and an "Iron Ranger" self serve pay station are located at the Campground kiosk.

No special permits or passes are required for hiking or backcountry camping. If planning an overnight or multi-day trip, you should fill out a voluntary backcountry registration form available from the visitor center, so your unattended vehicle doesn't attract concern for your whereabouts.

For more info .....
Mojave National Preserve




When To Climb

Climbing season in the Providence Mountains is November through April. The summer months are extremely hot with daytime temperatures typically exceeding 100º Fahrenheit.


Camping

Camping is available near the trailhead at east end of the parking area of the Mitchell Caverns visitor center. There are six developed sites. Potable water is available in the campground as well as flush toilets. Camping fees are $12.00 per night. Self registration at the Campground kiosk. This campground is highly recommended for it's convenient proximity to the trailhead and excellent views of the surrounding desert. The sunrise is spectacular!

Other camprounds in the area are Hole in the Wall and Mid Hills. The latter of which, is situated within a beautiful Pinyon Pine and Juniper grove and is also highly recommended.

Backcountry Camping
Backpackers and hikers can camp within the Preserve by going at least 0.5 mile from any day-use area or road and a 0.25 mile from water sources. There is no official registration system, so let someone know where you are going and when you plan to return. Backcountry camping is limited to a 14-day stay. Few trail signs exist, so take a good map and become familiar with the area you are about to camp in. Do not set up in a drainage or dry wash as flash floods can develop quickly in the desert.



More info

Mountain Conditions

National Weather Service forecast Click here

Intellicast weather forecast for Essex, Ca. click here

Mojave National Preserve Desert Information Center
72157 Baker Blvd./ PO Box 241
Baker, CA 92309
760-733-4040
Mojave National Preserve


External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Candace66

Candace66 - Jul 19, 2020 3:49 pm - Hasn't voted

Current access situation

Regarding access to Fountain, Edgar, and Mitchell Point... On July 19, 2020, I called Providence Mt’s State Recreation Area (760-928-2586) to get an update. The peaks are not closed. A “backcountry permit” is required to access the peaks if you’re starting from the visitor center. You can only get this permit in person at the visitor center. (There’s currently a $10/vehicle entrance fee as well.) There is a gate on the access road two miles down from the visitor center. It is only unlocked from 8 AM to 5 PM on the days they are open. So, you would have to enter at 8 AM, go to the visitor center and obtain your permit, then complete your hike by 5 PM. Otherwise, your vehicle would still be in their parking lot after closing time, and this would likely trigger a search-and-rescue operation. Accessing the peaks via routes that don’t begin at the visitor center is a “gray area.” There is a route (DPS Route D) on Mitchell Point that begins from the Bonanza King Mine and does not cross any of the State Park land. That is fine. But other routes to Mitchell do cross their land. And the summits of Edgar and Fountain Peaks, and the established routes on those peaks, are within their boundaries. I was told that “technically” you should have the permit to be anywhere in their backcountry. Even if you find a route up Fountain or Edgar from the west. But they are only really concerned with people who start from the visitor center. The backcountry permits are available during these days of Covid-19. Their trails are open, while caves and the cavern tour are closed. But beware, the rules and situation could change by late summer or fall. So, it would be best to call and discuss what you plan to do before heading out there. They are currently open on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and holiday Mondays.

Candace66

Candace66 - Apr 13, 2021 4:33 pm - Hasn't voted

Coordinates way off

The coordinates currently listed on this page place it at Edgar Peak. Coordinates should be 34.94613, -115.53751 Also, if I search the site for "Fountain Peak", this page doesn't come up, at least not for me.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.