Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.53900°N / 114.192°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7148 ft / 2179 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Tipton is the highpoint of the Cerbat Mountains. This rugged desert mountain is located in the Mount Tipton Wilderness Area about 30 miles northwest of Kingman. Towering over the Hualapai Valley to the east, and the Detrital Valley to the west, Mount Tipton dominates the desert landscape between Kingman and Las Vegas. Unlike the desert below, the upper elevations of the Cerbat Mountains are heavily forested. There are no trails or campgrounds in the vicinity of Mount Tipton. With an elevation of 7,148', Mount Tipton ranks way down on the Arizona elevation list. But the new field of Prominence has made Mount Tipton a more important mountain. With a prominence of 3,628', Mount Tipton is big enough to make an appearance on the Arizona Prominence Map.




Getting There

From Kingman, drive about 30 miles north on US 93. Turn right onto the paved Dolan Springs Road, otherwise known as the Pierce Ferry Road. Drive a little over a mile on this road towards Dolan Springs, then turn right onto a dirt road at the intersection of Pierce Ferry and 5th Street. This intersection is right across the street from Mojave Rancho Lumber. Drive 4.4 miles due east on the dirt road to an intersection here with a primitive road. Turn left onto the primitive road. After 0.2 miles, you will reach an unlocked gate near a water tank with a Mount Tipton Wilderness sign behind it. After 3/4-mile, you will reach a sign and register. This is probably an alternative starting point to climb Mount Tipton, but we kept driving further up the road. After 1.4 miles, you will reach a locked gate at the wilderness boundary. Park here.

Mountain Conditions

Mount Tipton is located on BLM land. Contact the Kingman Office at 928-692-4400 for the latest information.

Topo Maps: Mt Tipton; White Hills.

Camping

There are no maintained campgrounds near Mount Tipton, but there are some campgrounds near Chloride.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
seano

seano - Oct 27, 2015 5:30 pm - Hasn't voted

"Fifth street"

Note that as of October 2015, the so-called street is turning into a wash, and is worryingly sandy. It is probably still passable in a passenger car, but you really don't want to stop. Beyond the gate, the road is decent for high clearance up to the BLM sign and trail register, where there is a parking area, then abandoned beyond.

Chuckmel11 - Oct 26, 2016 11:35 pm - Hasn't voted

Better access

5th Street continues to turn into a sandy wash. Chances of needing a shovel to use this "road" are a sure thing. Better access is to continue past 5th Street on Pierce Ferry Rd to 7th Street. Turn right onto 7th and drive 2.5 miles to Inglewood. Turn right on Inglewood. Drive .9 miles to 5th Street. This route is county maintained and avoids the sand. Continue on 5th Street following the original description. It is 1.1 mile from the intersection of 5th and Inglewood to the lower gate.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.