Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.26100°N / 111.5448°W
Additional Information Elevation: 10801 ft / 3292 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This peak was officially named on June 9, 2005. It is located to the SW of Shingle Mill Peak and NE of Provo Peak. There is a maintained trail until the final mile which is an exposed scramble over a ridge consisting of mixed trees, boulders, and bare soil. Warning - this is a challenging climb. Please proceed with caution. Once on the summit, you'll have spectacular 360 degree views of Cascade Mountain, Mt Timpanogos, Shingle Mill Peak, Lightning Peak, Mt Nebo, and Provo Peak.

Getting There

Access is either via the Dry Fork Trail (060) (off of the Squaw Peak Road) or via the Big Springs Trail in the South Fork of Provo Canyon.

The Squaw Peak Road is reached via Provo Canyon (State Highway 189). This road begins as a paved road. At the junction, take the road to Hope Campground. The road becomes a dirt road just past Hope. Continue to the Dry Fork trail head just past the old Rock Canyon Campground (now closed). This is marked with a small brown Forest Service marker (trail 060). There is no formal parking area. The elevation here is 7255. You'll need to park along the side of the road. Follow this trail up trough a beautiful aspen and pine forest to the Shingle Mill/Cascade Pass (elevation 9537). Distance is 3.6 miles.

For the Big Springs Trailhead, take State Highway 189 up Provo Canyon to Vivian Park. Continue up the road (about 4 miles) to the parking lot maintained by the Uinta National Forest. The distance to the Shingle Mill/Cascade pass is 4.95 miles.

Both trails converge at this common point. Here, you'll find a trail built as an Eagle Scout project in 2000. This trail is marked by rock cairns and generally followed the large contours running horizontally across the face of Shingle Mill Peak. This eventually takes you to to the saddle between Shingle Mill and Freedom Peaks. Then it's just a matter of following the knife edge ridge to the South to the summit of Freedom Peak. This ridge is similar in difficulty to the east approach of the American Fork Twins or the final East approach to the Pfiefferhorn.   Others have climbed via the West ridge.

This is a challenging class 3 climb and should not be attempted by those with limited experience.  As long as you are there, you may want to summit Shingle Mill Peak as well.

A third alternative is to start at the Rock Canyon Trailhead (elevation 5138). This trail will connect with the Dry Fork trailhead at 3.3 miles. In the summer there are two maintained water fountains along this trail.

Red Tape

No permits are required. Freedom Peak is located on the border of the Pleasant Grove and Spanish Fork Ranger Districts of the Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest. You can contact the PG Ranger District at 801.785.3563 or the Spanish Fork Ranger District at 801.798.3571. The PG district is likely to have better information on this area.

When To Climb

Could be climbed year round but those attempting a winter or early spring hike would experience a longer approach since the Squaw Peak Road is closed until Memorial Day or thereabouts. Also, avalanche danger would be present during this time. Best hiked once snow is stable in late spring. Ice axe and crampons are essential. 

Camping

There are multiple camping possibilities on both approaches.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
vanman798

vanman798 - Nov 10, 2007 12:39 pm - Voted 8/10

Please see...

...my log entry, as I mention something I disagree with in your write up. Also you state "Then its just a matter of following the knife edge ridge to the West to the summit of Freedom Peak." I believe that knife edge is on the North of Freedom Peak.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.