Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.37610°N / 106.6009°W
Additional Information County: Grand & Jackson
Additional Information Elevation: 9824 ft / 2994 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Baker Mountain is the northernmost mountain of the Gore Range. Baker is located on the Continental Divide about 1 mile west-southwest of Muddy Pass in Northern Colorado. Baker Mountain was a ski area, opening in 1950 and closing in 1953. It is the only Colorado ski area that closed from too much snow! The snow interfered with plowing the access road. From Muddy Pass, attaining the summit requires no more than first class hiking and 1,224' of elevation gain. Rabbit Ears Peak is visible from the summit.

Baker Mountain from Muddy...
Baker Mountain from Muddy Pass

Getting There

The trailhead is on the west side of Muddy Pass, which is 27 miles north of Kremling on US 40 at the intersection with CO 14. Muddy Pass can be accessed from the north via Steamboat Springs or from the south via Kremling or Silverthorne. To access Muddy Pass from the south, take exit 205 (Silverthorne) off of I-70 to CO 9 north to US 40 west.

Northeast Ridge Route Skied...
Baker Mountain's Northeast Ridge

Red Tape

Baker Mountain is located in Arapaho National Forest, Sulfur Ranger District. No permits required.

When To Climb

Baker Mountain can be climbed all year long, but the Northeast Ridge is not a recommended ski descent, though possible, due to overly tight and/or downed trees. The southeast ridge probably offers a better ski descent.

Mountain Conditions

Colorado Avalanche Information Center


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.