Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.67485°N / 7.99915°E
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 8796 ft / 2681 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Faulhorn is a small mountain within the Berner Oberland with a rounded, almost featureless summit with the notable exception of a small hotel with a restaurant near its apex. It provides a great day-hike destination with stunning views including the trio of the Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger as well as other beautiful views in every direction.

Getting There

From Grindelwald there are two ways to reach the Faulhorn. Most commonly visitors hike from the top of the Firstbahn gondola. The gondola station is about a ten minute leisurely walk from the Grindelwald train station. From First you will pass the Bachalpsee, a tiny picturesque lake with great views of the Shreckhorn group and the top of the Finsteraarhorn. The hike takes around two hours if you take time to enjoy the views. If you choose to hike the length of the gondola you will rise 1100 meters from Grindelwald. (You will also have to hike back down, this takes just under two hours, if you miss the last trip down at 6pm.)

Some hike from Bussalp (1800 meters) up to the Faulhorn, but it is more common to arrive at Bussalp after gaining the Faulhorn from First. You can take a yellow postal coach back to Grindelwald from Bussalp, but remember to check the schedule for the last trip down!

It is also posssible to hike from the Schynige Platte (accessible via cograil) to the Faulhorn via a long ridgewalk. The trip from Schynige Platte to First via the Faulhorn takes about 6 and a half hours.

When to Climb/Hike

Conditions are best from late June through early October, but the best weather is generally in August. There may be a few small snowfields near the top early in the season.

Red Tape

No permits are needed.

Camping

Camping is not allowed in the immediate area. There are campsites and a youth hostel in Interlaken. It is possible to stay overnight in the Faulhorn hotel.

External Links

Great information covering the Jungfrau area within the Berner Oberland including local weather can be found here: www.jungfraubahn.ch

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.