Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 36.65420°N / 118.866°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7600 ft / 2316 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Chimney Rocks is the Sierra granite formation consisting of Chimney Rock, Chimney Rock Spire, Crystal Wall, Dinner Wall, The Monk, and Chartreuse Dicephalon. The area is a favored spot of the knowing local and the lucky guidebook owner. This is owed to its easy access and pleasant climate during the summer months and it's uber-quality stone, smile away Deutsche climbers. An abundance of classic sierra routes await climbers of every level.

Getting There

Entrance fees are charged at both the following gates. A valid National Parks pass will gain you access to Chimney Rocks.

From Fresno: Follow HWY 180 up to Kings Canyon National Park. After entering the park turn left onto the Generals HWY.

From Visalia: Follow HWY 198 to Sequoia National Park. After entering the park stay on the main road which is the Generals HWY.

Proceed on the Generals HWY to RD 14S29 which is signed "National Forest Organizational Camps, San Joaquin Far Horizons." Turn West onto RD 14S29 and travel approx. six miles keeping left at the fork in road. Continue until you reach the dirt parking/camping area at the end of the road. A trail to Crystal Wall, Chartreuse Dicephalon, and Dinner Wall is located at the West end of the parking area. Beginning at the North side of the parking lot is the trail to Chimney Rock Spire, Chimney Rock, and the Monk as well as to rap routes from the top of Crystal Wall and Dinner Wall.

Closures

This area proudly supports the nesting of the Peregrine Falcon. Normally closure is in effect "from the date of signature until Forest Service or NPS biologists confirm that young falcons have fledged and dispersed (generally August 1), the nest is abandoned or there is reason to believe that public presence will not adversely affect the nesting falcons". For questions contact Marianne Emmendorfer, Hume Lake Ranger District, 559.338.2251 x 313 or visit The Access Fund
(thanks Littleboogie)

Camping/Lodging

Primitive camping available at the parking area for Chimney Rocks.. oh yeah and it's free!!!

If you like to pay and enjoy driving:

John Muir Lodge: Big fancy name.. yada yada yada.. it's ok, at least it's by the village.
John Muir Lodge

Current Conditions




Local Links

Pizza and Beer eh!
Squaw Valley's Bear Mountain Pizza

Local Park Beta:
SEKI.COM

Gear Nearby:
Sport Chalet

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
limpingcrab

limpingcrab - Mar 11, 2011 1:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Parents

Would be helpful if this had some parent pages, like the sierra and SEKI

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.