Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.59460°N / 114.82912°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Bouldering, Scrambling
Additional Information Elevation: 5060 ft / 1542 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ireteba Peak is the high point of the El Dorado Mountains. This peaked is named after Ireteba, a Mojave Indian Guide on the Whipple mapping expeditions.

This peak is the next peak in the range North of “unofficially named” Bard Peak. Great views are to be enjoyed of the Colorado River, Lake Mojave, Red Rocks and the Spring Mountains in the distance (Northwest) to name a few.

Ireteba and Ridge

Getting There

From Las Vegas drive South on HWY 93/95 towards Boulder City. Just passed the Railroad Pass turn south on HWY 95 towards Searchlight. Drive 28.2 miles and turn left (East) onto a dirt road just past mile marker 28. Go on this dirt road for 2 miles. Turn left and drive for 0.7 miles and then turn right on another dirt road. Then turn right onto another dirt road for 2.6 miles and park just before the road curves to the right (South). There will be a wildlife guzzler a little before the parking spot on the right. The coordinates for the parking spot are 35º 35.067 N and 114º 50.313 W. Elevation is approximately 3,880 feet. A 4WD is not needed to get here, but a high clearance vehicle is.

Alternative route if coming from the South

Driving through Searchlight at the intersection of HWY 95 and HWY 164, drive North on HWY 95 for about 7.6 miles. The dirt road is on your right. Turn right (East). Go on this dirt road for 2 miles. Turn left and drive for 0.7 miles and then turn right on another dirt road. Then turn right onto another dirt road for 2.6 miles and park just before the road curves to the right (South).

Red Tape

There are no permits needed to hike this peak.

The Hike

Ireteba from SaddleIreteba Peak from the saddle
This peak is can be hiked in conjunction with Bard Peak. From the parking area enter the wash just to the left (North) of your vehicle. Start hiking along the wash until you come to Bard Peak’s west ridge. Start hiking and scrambling up the ridge to Bard Peak. Total distance to Bard is about 0.9 miles. From here hike along the ridge to the North to Ireteba. It is about 0.4 miles. From here you can hike down Ireteba’s west ridge into the wash and back to the parking area. You can see your vehicle from the summit of Ireteba. Refer to this route for specific directions on the route for the Bard-Ireteba combination route.

Alternatively you could hike up the wash to Ireteba’s West ridge and hike up. This however does not save much in elevation gain or distance and the talus is a lot more loose. Climbing Bard and descending using the route attached in the routes section, be prepared for very tough terrain where a slip is quite possible. The terrain though is gentle and a fall would be onto one’s rear.


Weather


External Links

  • Jim Boone’s page of Ireteba Peaks Wilderness

  • Photos of Bard and Ireteba

    Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1

    richh - May 26, 2019 10:28 pm - Hasn't voted

    This is NOT the highest of the Ireteba Peaks

    As first brought up by MoapaPk in his trip report, the elevations on the 1986 topo are incorrect, likely the result of using photogrammetry; much less accurate than optical methods in the field. Even the surveyors who set the BM in 1934 mentioned that there was a higher peak to the north. It is clearly discernible using a 5X hand level with 1% stadia lines. On the 1986 topo, the highest peak is given the incorrect spot elevation of 1537 meters.

    Viewing: 1-1 of 1


  • Children

    Children

    Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.