Uluru-Kata Tjuta

Uluru-Kata Tjuta

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 25.35465°S / 131.02785°E
Additional Information County: Northern Territory
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3497 ft / 1066 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Uluru/Ayers Rock is located in the Uluru- Kata Tjuta National Park in Australia’s Northern Territory. The size of the national park is 1.325 square km and it inhabitats many species of mammals, reptiles, birds, frogs and plants. Uluru (863m high) is made from sandstone which contains iron minerals. Due to water and oxygen the rock gets red (like oxidation of iron). Kata Tjuta (1.066m high) is made of conglomerate.
UluruUluru

The National Park is Aboriginal land and partly managed by the traditional owners. They also run a cultural center on the way from the Yulara/Ayers Rock Resort to Uluru. There you have exhibitions about the area, Aboriginal culture and traditional art.
The entry fee for the National Park is 25 AUS$ for adults for a ticket valid for 3 days. Children under 16 are free.

The main attraction is to climb Uluru with its 348 metres above the plain. But the secured climb is often closed due to cultural reasons, wind or high temperatures. As Uluru is of great spiritual significance for Aboriginal people they ask not to climb it.

There is a 9,4 kilometre long walk around Uluru which takes about 3 hours. There are many sacred sites of the Aboriginal people on the way. Near Kuniya on the south side of Uluru there is a waterhole where you can find watersnakes.
Valley of the WindsValley of the Winds

On the way to Kata Tjuta there is a short walk along the dunes with a nice view to Kata Tjuta.
At the Kata Tjuta there is the Valley of the Winds Walk which is a 7,4 km long circuit walk taking about 2,5 hours and the Walpa Gorge Walk which is 2,6 km long and takes about 1 hour.

Getting There

You can reach Uluru- Kata Tjuta National Park by car on the way from Adelaide to Darwin. There are also planes from mayor Australian cities to Yulara/Connellan Airport and Alice springs. Yulara/Ayers Rock Resort is about 450 road kilometres South- West of Alice springs.
Walpa GorgeWalpa Gorge

Accomodation

Yulara/Ayers Rock resort offers every type of accomodation from camping to hostels and 5 star hotels. Uluru is about 20 kilometres and Kata Tjuta about 50 kilometres away from Yulara/Ayers Rock resort.

External Links

Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-3 of 3
bbolder

bbolder - Feb 17, 2009 1:43 am - Hasn't voted

Important clarifications:

* The Trailhead for the climb is at the "Mala"pullout. * No map you can find tells you this, because they prefer you do not climb it. * Today (summer, Feb) the gate was only open 6:30-8:00 am; before and after that it's Closed * It is likely the summit will be permanently closed in the next few years. * The hike up is technically simple (posts and chains to hold onto), short, and splendid. * There would probably be other 4th class routes, and there are a few other 5th class routes, but they are way way off limits. * At least in summer, definitely buy the bug headnet; the flies go for your face and really detract from enjoyment. * Ideal scenario: get up early, drive (or take tour bus) to the clearly designated pullout on the road and watch sunrise with 100 other people (300 at sunset). Drive back on the road, and promptly do ascent before they close it for the day. Now run or hike around the base (9.4 kms, has water taps). Then go to the Cultural Center which is very good (free). Finally, go back to Yulara (the resort) and swim in the pool. Day done. 1 pm. * It is not immediately apparent that Uluru is NOT close to Alice Springs! So save time and money and fly into the resort/national park and skip Alice completely. * Do not even consider driving to this place unless you love really long boring road trips. A great option however, is to take The Ghan from Adelaide - trains are very relaxing, especially if you can afford the Sleeper Car. o/w airfares in Aus are half r/t, so no penalty for train one direction and flight out. * All lodging is in one spot - Yaluru - and is owned by one company, so it's pricey; upside is there is only one phone call/website visit to make. Best value is the dormitory's ($42), which are YHA style, and provide the exact same amenities (pool, bar, etc) as the $150 rooms, except it's a shared room with shower/toilet in a different blg. * Best times are spring/fall; winter nights are cold and summer days are very hot. * Personal Comment: Uluru is an international icon. I had to come here and am glad I did. Now that I've been here one day, it's time to leave. A serious desert adventurer, in spring or fall and with car, could certainly find more things to do.

flow

flow - Feb 17, 2009 5:21 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Important clarifications:

thank you for the additions.

T. White

T. White - Jan 22, 2020 10:25 am - Hasn't voted

Summit trail permanently closed

As of 10/26/2019, the trail has been closed and its chain removed.

Viewing: 1-3 of 3


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.