Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.43400°N / 116.361°W
Additional Information County: Kootenai
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 6408 ft / 1953 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Latour PeakMirror Lake. Latour Peak is just out of sight to the right. Twin Crags lookout is just right of center, and Mt. Wiessner is just left of center.
Latour Peak is the highest point in Kootenai County at 6,408'. It lies south of Cataldo between the Latour Creek and Pine Creek drainages. There is a road to just below the summit, and an old 4 wheeler trail to the top, although this trail is supposedly closed to motorized vehicles. This is a very scenic area, and can be crowded with off road enthusiasts, huckleberry pickers, hikers, and hunters depending on the season.

Right next to Latour Peak (to the east) is the old Twin Crags lookout tower. Wildlife is abundant, including mule deer, elk, black bear, cats, blue grouse, and wolves have been spotted nearby.

Not only is Latour Peak a county highpoint but it is an Idaho Prominence Peak. It is #99 on this list.

Getting There

Latour PeakTwin Crags lookout, just east of the Latour Peak summit. June 23, 2002.
From Interstate 90, take the Cataldo exit, go south on Latour Creek Road. Go about 9.5 miles to Twin Crags Road, turn left here over Latour Creek. At 2.4 miles, go right. After that, stay left on the main road. The road will get bumpy after awhile and is fairly slow going, unless you are on a 4 wheeler or dirtbike. There is a major saddle just to the south of the peak, from here just walk up the 4 wheeler trail to the top.

Red Tape

No red tape, other than no motorized vehicles are allowed on the 4 wheeler trail to the top.

Camping

There are some nice camp sites all over in and near this major saddle.

External Links

Add External Links text here.