Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.95680°N / 121.4529°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6856 ft / 2090 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

THERE WAS A VERY SERIOUS WILDFIRE HERE IN 2017!! Much of this information maybe altered from this fire!!

Rainier View
 


Norse Peak, the signature peak in the Norse Peak Wilderness area is a moderately popular peak near the Mount Rainier National Park. Located near the Crystal Mountain this mountain is well known for its great views of Mount Rainier, Mount Adams, Crystal Mountain, Nelson Ridge and many other classic mountains in the Mount Rainier area. Views here are classics, especially of Mount Rainier so a camera is a must if you are trying for this mountain. When we were up there we had direct views of Adams and Rainier, partial views of St. Helens, Glacier and Hood, and very distant views of Mount Baker.

Adams View
 


Norse Peak is moderately in the rain shadow of Mount Rainier, which means that storms off the Pacific Ocean tend to be weaker on this side of Mount Rainier than on the other windward side. That being said, the rain shadow is not quite as strong as peak further east such as Mount Aix or the Teanaway Region. Still compared to many of I-90 peaks, the weather here is a little less extreme.

Adams View
 


This peak is can be reach by the YDS Class 1 Norse Peak Trail (Trail no. 1191). The 11.2 roundtrip 2800 foot elevation gain trail ascends the mountain via a large amount of switchbacks at a moderate pitch. The trail gets a little more gradual as it continues to rise. There looks to be series of side trail here that branch of but stay on the main trail as it gradual rises through the thick forest. At about 5000 feet of elevation the trail rise into some openings. Soon you can see the top of Rainier rising in the distance. As you go higher Mount Rainier becomes far more dramatic. Pass first the trail leading to Goat Lake (junctions on the left) and then when you are in the saddle and hit the y intersection, take the trail on the right that head uphill toward the summit area of Norse Peak.

Crystal Mountain View
 


For a more dramatic feel take the Class 2 ridge walk and pick up the back the trail in the pass just before the summit. It maybe slightly airy but views here are dramatic not to mention the wonderful feeling of being on a ridge.

The best times to do this mountain is from June to early November. It can be done in winter but pack accordingly, which usually means an ice axe, snowshoes and crampons.

Getting There

FROM ENUMCLAW VIA 410: Take 410 east for 33 miles until just before reaching the gate of Mt. Rainier National Park. Make a left on Crystal Mountain Blvd (7190) (paved) go roughly 4 1/4 miles. Turn on the dirt road on your left near the Sand Flat Horse Camp. Walk up the road passed the gate and the trail will be on your left roughly 200 yards. This peak is also very doable to the average hiker. It took us 2 1/4 up with extra gear on our backs for training and under 2 hours down.

Red Tape

From what I saw; no forest pass or permits were required.

Camping

If backcountry camping is what you are interested in there is a great camping area named Big Crow Basin which is located a mile from the summit off of Trail 1191. At the junction at the saddle instead of making a right to the summit on Trail 1191A you want to take the trail to the left that goes downhill roughly a half mile.

External Links

NWHikers.net is always a great site for figuring out trail conditions.

Weather Conditions

Here is an awesome sit from very closeby Crystal Mountain Resort . This will be by far the most accurate forecast you can get on the region.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.