Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 48.07716°N / 115.67711°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 7714 ft / 2351 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

St. Paul Lake

Few hikes can match this easy little hike to a great part of the Cabinet Mountian Wilderness Area. With great views of Elephant Peak, Rock Lake, Cliff Lake, St Paul Lake, Chicago Peak, Rock Peak, Scotchman Peak and the Clark Fork River.

This is a great climb for beginners and day hikers as well. Lots of goats, and you might just see a grizzly, black bear, sheep, or cougar. Easy access means lots of people, so don't think you won't see any anybody.

Cliff Lake sits at about 6,700 feet and is frozen well into June. There is one other lake near by called Copper Lake and it is about the same size as Cliff Lake but not as remarkable. Great sunset from either Cliff Lake, St. Paul Peak, or Chicago Peak.




Getting There

St. Paul Peak
Two miles east of Noxon, Montana, near mile marker 17, turn north off Highway 200 onto Rock Creek Road no. 150. After a couple hundred yards take the right fork and follow the road nearly 8 miles to Chicago Peak Road no. 2741. This road climbs some 2,600 feet to the unofficial trailhead and is narrow, strewn with rocks and crosses several deep gullies. Four wheel drive, high clearance vehicles are recommended and on the last 3 miles they are required. This is a rough road and it takes longer to drive than it does to hike to Cliff Lake. Follow the trail to Cliff Lake and go up the ridge to the right of the lake and you are on your way to the top.

Red Tape

No red tape just use common sense and be nice to the land.

Camping

from cliff lakeFrom Cliff Lake camp.

There are about 4 or 5 camp sites at Cliff Lake and some more if you're desperate, but please don't make a new one. Remember that there is snow here well into June. The pics on this site were taken Mid-June 2008 and there was still 6 feet in some spots.

External Links

St. Paul Peak Movie Kootenai National Forest web site
St Paul Peak from Cliff LakeCliff Lake

Weather

Zone Forecast for Noxon, MT> Image Hosted by ImageShack.us



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Cabinet MountainsMountains & Rocks