Mount Bryant and Shadow Mountain

Mount Bryant and Shadow Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.20933°N / 105.78822°W
Additional Information County: Grand
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11034 ft / 3363 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mount Bryant from the summit of Shadow MountainMount Bryant from the summit of Shadow Mountain.

Mount Bryant and Shadow Mountain are two peaks which lie in the southwest corner of Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado. The hike up Mount Bryant is typically done by going over the summit of Shadow Mountain. Like the majority of the peaks in RMNP, no trails reach the summit of these peaks. However, the Shadow Mountain Trail gets one close to the summit of Shadow Mountain.

The coordinates and elevation shown on this page are for Mount Bryant (the higher of the two peaks). The coordinates of Shadow Mountain are 40.3135°N / 105.567433°W. Its elevation is 10,155 ft (3095 m). Shadow Mountain lies 1.45 miles to the northwest of Mount Bryant.

Mount Bryant is ranked as the 99th tallest named peak out of 126 on Mountain Jim's Summits of Rocky Mountain National Park List. Shadow Mountain is ranked 118th on that same list. Mount Bryant is unranked on Gerry Roach's Rocky Mountain National Park Summits List because it does not have at least 300 feet of prominence over the saddle between it and its parent peak, Mount Craig 3.2 miles to the east (it has only 294 feet of prominence). Similarly, Shadow Mountain is also unranked on that list because it has only 255 feet of prominence over the saddle between it and Mount Craig.

Mount Bryant is forested (albeit by trees largely affected by the pine beetle) so views are limited. The 10,827 foot north false summit of Mount Bryant provides good views to the west including Lake Grandby and Shadow Mountain Lake. The summit of Shadow Mountain provides a good view of East Inlet and Adams Falls, as well as the mouth of the large valley that holds that river.

Getting There

The easiest approach to Mount Bryant and Shadow Mountain involves starting at the East Shore Trailhead.

Red Tape

Mount Bryant and Shadow Mountain are within Rocky Mountain National Park. Daily as well as annual passes are available.

Camping

Several campgrounds are available in the Park, some of which allow reservations. Backcountry camping is allowed in the Park in pre-defined backcountry campsites. Reservations are recommended, as some backcountry sites become reserved for the entire summer by March.

Seasons

Mount Bryant and Shadow Mountain can be ascended in all seasons.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.