Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.13310°N / 115.0238°W
Additional Information County: Boise
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 10385 ft / 3165 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Location: Redfish Lake area in the Northeastern part of the range.  Popular area, but the approach valleys contain no trail and these peaks are seldom explored. The 12th tallest peak in the range is located on the main Sawtooth Crest near a group of some of the tallest peaks in the range.  The peak is most impressive when viewed from the west, but overall this peak is seldom viewed from any direction.

Nearby Peaks: Mt. Bruce, Horstmann Peak, Harriet's Pinnacle, Schwartz Pinnacle, Mt. Carter, Mickey's Spire

Linkups: Mt. Carter, Mickey's Spire, Harriets Pinnacle, Schwartz Pinnacle, Mt. Bush

Difficulty:  Class 2-3, easy but loose scree

Usage: Scrambling, Skiing

Terrain:  mostly broad open slopes of scree, the NE ridge contains some steeper rocks

Traffic:  Very Light- most users explore nearby Thompson.  Carter and Limbert are often done as an afterthought or as part of a multi-peak day.

Summit Register:  ?

History / Etymology:  Originally named Ede Ebert by the Iowa Mountaineers. She was the wife of the leader of the group.  Robert Limbert was a 1920's photographer, guide and first explorer of the region.

Mount Carter

Getting There

Nearest Paved Roads:  ID-75, Redfish Lake Road

Nearest Dirt Roads / Conditions:  None

Approach Trails / Conditions:  Fishhook Trail from Redfish Lodge area (Excellent)- trail peters out and becomes vague

Limbert from Baron Peak

Routes

Main Route:  East Slopes via Lake 9425 / Limbert Valley (Class 2-3)- Follow the Fishhook Trail until it ends where it crosses a creek coming down from the north.  Continue up the valley staying on the north side of the creek and continue to angle more north and into the side valley (Limbert Valley).  Stay north of the creek coming out of Lake 9425 until about 8700 ft.  Here, cross the creek and travel on the south side in a beautiful open valley.  Just before another steep section of the valley (9000 ft /seasonal waterfall), cross back to the north of the creek and climb to Lake 9425.  From the end of the lake scramble up open scree ridden slopes to the summit.  Angle slightly north of the summit and gain the ridge NE of the summit for the easiest access.

Main Route Stats:  13.3miles / 4489 (round trip)

Average RT Time:  6-8 hours (strenuous off trail approach)

Other Routes:  The south slopes directly from Fishhook Creek offers another possible route.  This peak can easily be done after climbing Thompson, Mickey's Spire, and Carter- for this route follow directions for Thompson, then descend the Limbert Valley.  The west side of this peak has bar far the steepest slopes.

Carter, Mickey s Spire and Thompson from Mt. Bruce
 

Red Tape

Jurisdiction:  National Forest (Sawtooth National Recreation Area)

Permit:  No

Other Users / Issues:  Difficult cross country travel and approach

Maps:  USGS Quad- Stanley, Stanley Lake.  The USGS maps do not show most of the pinnacles and mountains in the Iowa Pinnacles area.

Guide Book:  Tom Lopez,  Idaho: A Climbing Guide

East Slopes- Limbert

When To Climb

Climbing Season:  Summer, Fall (June-Oct)

Ideal Climbing Time:  July-Sept

Nearest Weather Station:  Stanley

Weather Relative to Region:  located near the highest peaks in the range- expect slightly greater chance of summer T-storms in this area.

Mt Limbert- East Slopes

Camping

Car Camping Sites:  Redfish Lake area offers lots of drive in camp sites

Backpacking Sites:  Not ideal because of the difficult cross country travel (steep slopes, logs to cross etc.).  Marshall Lake, Limbert Valley would make a terrific area if you could get in.

Limbert Basin just SW of...

Flora & Fauna

Potential Wildlife:  Badger, Beaver, Black Bear, Mule Deer, Pronghorn, Cougar, Coyote, Elk, Marmot, Marten, Moose, Mountain Goat, Rainbow Trout, Brook Trout, Pika, Wolf

Confirmed Wildlife: Pika, Coyote, Marmot, Mountain Goat, Rainbow Trout

Vegetation:  Lodgepole, Engelman Spruce

Mickey s Spire



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawtooth RangeMountains & Rocks