Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 33.50918°N / 117.7444°W
Additional Information County: Orange
Additional Information Elevation: 625 ft / 190 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Over the water
Sunset from Aliso Peak


NOTE: On Many websites this peak is mentioned to have the height of 683 feet but according to the topo map this peak is only 625 feet! Keep that in mind when searching for additional information.

Aliso Summit Sunset
A beautiful sunset taken by Gimpilator


Aliso Peak is not a very large peak in Southern California. Actually this peak is not even a very large peak in the range of hills that it is even located in. There is not very much prominence to this peak either making this peak seem like not a very important peak to go for when you are in Southern California. That is of course until you start to enjoy the magical ocean views from this peak which views of the ocean are so legendary, there is a park partial named after the peak and a park bench on the summit in which to enjoy the amazing ocean views. It is one of the signature peaks in the Aliso and Wood Canyons Wildlife Park. Honestly there are very few peaks in the area that have as good as sunset views as Aliso Peak. A sunset hike on Aliso Peak IS NOT TO BE MISSED.

The summit bench
Enjoy the summit views here!


In order to get to the summit of Aliso Peak take the Valido Trail (0.3 miles 300 feet elevation gain) to the saddle between Aliso Peak and Niguel Hill. From there make a left on the Aliso Trail and head all the way to the summit of Aliso Peak (0.4 miles 100 feet of elevation gain). The entire trail way up is a walk up though the trail is steep in place heading up to the saddle and just before Aliso Peak. This trail should not be used after a major rainstorm due to severe erosional factors and the fact the trail become quiet slippery. Watch out for wildlife especially rattlesnakes. I did here a rattlesnake here even on an evening in January.

Downtown Laguna Beach
Downtown Laguna Beach!

Getting There

VIA THE VALIDO TRAIL: From the Pacific Coast Highway in South Laguna Beach look for West Street on the east side of the road (3 miles south of downtown Laguna Beach). Take West Street roughly 100 yards to a road signed Valido Street (on Google this is listed as Paseo Del Sur but the sign on the street is Valido Street). Make a left here and 100 feet up a inclined dirt pull off with enough room for maybe two cars will be on your left.

Red Tape

The Valido Trail
The trail beginnings!


Parking is very limited in an upper class residential area. No smoking on the trail. It is advised not to hike Aliso Peak after a rainstorm due to the very muddy nature of the trail.

Camping

Camping is not allowed on Aliso Peak.

External Links

Some more information and reviews from the hike to this peak

A really good webpage of Aliso Peak listed here