Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 50.15793°N / 126.23424°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6109 ft / 1862 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Schoen is the highest peak in the Genesis group and one of the more northerly 6,000ft mountains on Vancouver Island It is a looming twin-peaked monolith with two large flat-topped summits rising high above Schoen Lake. There is a surprising amount of high alpine terrain especially on the east side of the mountain where a wide alpine shelf spans the full length of the peak. There are lakes, snowfields, waterfalls and all manner of rock bluffs and towers along this shelf.

Of special note are the beautiful low-elevation meadows on the east side of the mountain. There are few if any similar meadows on Vancouver Island, they are prime wildlife habitat and elk frequent them. An infrequently used trail runs through the valley on this side of the peak crossing the meadows to link the Adam River logging road to Schoen Lake. 

Getting There

Access to Mt Schoen is usually from either the Adam River logging road on the east or from Schoen Creek logging roads to the west.

Standard Route

The standard route to the summit of Mt Schoen is up the south ridge by either access.

Guidebooks & Other Links

Local guidebook Island Alpine Select.
Avalanche Conditions: Island Avalanche Bulletin


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Vancouver Island AlpsMountains & Rocks