Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.29358°N / 121.7498°W
Additional Information County: Clackamas
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 4656 ft / 1419 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bang for the buck. That basically describes this small mountain that is located just south of Mount Hood. Multorpor Mountain is a relatively small mountain at only 696 feet of prominence. It is short peak that during summer is a perfect short hike potentially for families. In winter it is a quick and easy snowshoe to warm up for the upcoming winter. Though it is about 800 feet of elevation gain and a little more than 2 miles round-trip, the view from this summit is near 360 panorama. 

The Legendary Mount Hood
The Legendary Mount Hood

One can a very good closeup of Mount Hood from the summit and can check out the conditions on the Old Chute and the Pearly Gates. One can also look south and see many of the other Oregon Cascades that include Barlow Butte, Eureka Peak and Tom, Dick and Harry Mountain. The very top of Mount Saint Helens can also be seen from Multorpor Mountain as well. If you are in the area and are interest in getting a unique view of Mount Hood then check out this summit. 

Tom, Dick and Harry
Tom Dick and Harry Mountain
Looking east
Looking east
>

Getting There

VIA THE GOVERNMENT CAMP REST AREA AND SUMMIT TUBING AND SKIING AREA: Take Route 26 to Government Camp and on the road until you see a rest area and ski area on your left hand side. Turn in there and park there. If you are driving from the west and you hit Timberline Ski Area road, you went to far. If coming from the east that the rest area is just beyond the road to the Timberline Ski Area. 

Route

Multorpor Mountain Route Map
Multorpor Mountain Route Map

When you leave the rest area you must cross the street and take the road immediately to your left. Stay on the road for over a half mile until you either see a trail (summer) or you are at the height of land (winter). In winter you just make your own trench to the summit. Though it is steep in winter, the elevation gain at just under 800 feet. Beecause it is short one make relatively quick work of this mountain. In heavy powder like Josh Lewis and I had, it still though can provide a good workout. 

Josh Lewis fighting for the summit
Josh Lewis fighting for the summit

Red Tape

In winter an Oregon Sno-Park Permit is available. This permit is far cheaper than a Washington Sno-Park Permit at $4 for the day, $9 for three days and $25 for the season. 

When to Climb

Flocked trees
Flocked trees

This mountain can be climbed anytime. It was very pretty in winter as a snowshoe. In winter though you have to make your route whereas in summer there is a bootpath/trail all the way to the summit. My personal opinion is save this for winter under moderate snow conditions. The ending is steep and provide a very good workout. In summer this is an easier family hike though it still steep heading to the summit. I suspect spring and fall would be okay based on the conditions.  

Looking at our snowshoe tracksLooking down at our tracks
WintertimeWinter time

Camping

Camping here would be leave no trace. It is a short trek so there is little need to camp unless you are trying to see a sunset over on Mount Hood.

External Links