Carrizo Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
hgrapid

hgrapid - Jan 23, 2005 12:32 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice Start, but do you have any views from the summit?

mtwashingtonmonroe

mtwashingtonmonroe - Jan 23, 2005 1:52 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Nice page!

streeyyr

streeyyr - Jan 23, 2005 10:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

Thanks for the spell check. I don't know what mountain subgroup Carrizo Peak belongs to. I've never been able to figure that out.

Scott

Scott - Jan 23, 2005 5:03 pm - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Good page on a desert peak.

Mark Aguilar - Dec 13, 2006 8:47 pm - Hasn't voted

The Climb

I climbed Carrizo at the age of 13, with two cousins and and my dad. I can tell you that the climb is incredibly rough. It's steep, it's covered with stone and high grass, and there are all kinds of flying gnats and other insects getting into your face. We did it in June, when it was hot, and we ended up having to dump a large portion of our water into my grandfather's truck that overheated. The way we did it was to climb to the foothills in an afternoon, camped there, then went to the top in the morning. It's not an easy climb; my father was a track coach and really had to push us to get us up. At several points my cousins and I came close to both mutiny and faking an injury. My advice would be to wear proper footwear and most of all, be in good enough shape to carry plenty of water. There is a cattle tank with clean water from rainfall at the summit, but you'll need all kinds of hydration getting up there. And check your granddad's radiator!
My dad and I also climbed Nogal. Not anywhere near as difficult, but steep-that's climbing the east face. You can climb it using the path, but we climbed the east side, and I was able to do it at about the same age, in a couple of hours. Again, the only advice I would give is to dress properly and bring plenty of water. Hydrating the day before would be the best plan.

Viewing: 1-5 of 5
Return to 'Carrizo Peak' main page