Viewing: 1-7 of 7
MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Mar 27, 2008 10:06 pm - Voted 10/10

nice, check out Bo+Tanya's

There is a nice summary at Tanya's site.

The trudge to the "real" top -- through sand and brush -- is only for true peak baggers!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 27, 2008 10:36 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice, check out Bo+Tanya's

On balance, I think I'd have been happy enough finding the spot Bo and Tanya describe, though I guess I got the same views during my bushwhacks back down to the edge so I could actually see the "summit" views!

The three of us actually had loose plans to get together that day, but things didn't work out.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - Mar 27, 2008 10:47 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: nice, check out Bo+Tanya's

What they describe is a trail that comes in at the top of the first set of cliffs. If one doesn't take that trail, but continues to the saddle, goes west to the mesa edge, then N again, one comes to a cliff that looks out over their "end-of-hike". That cliff -- probably where you went? - also has great views, and is at least 100' higher.

This is one explanation that would be greatly helped by a map!

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 27, 2008 10:59 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: nice, check out Bo+Tanya's

Good map indeed. Yes, I think I was almost exactly over that spot before I trudged south to find the real summit. Bo had actually briefly described that route to me beforehand, but I was thinking the trail had to be lower, so I didn't bother looking. Probably just as well-- I'd have either driven myself nuts (or dead) trying to climb the cliffs from there or would have still backtracked to get to the summit, as it was my bottom-line objective (after staying alive) that morning.

I think I'll add a link for the map and put in a brief word about the route, and encourage Bo and Tanya to elaborate if they'd like to. It's a nice alternative if it's just the views you're after, and it's probably what I'll do should I ever go there again.

Jerry L

Jerry L - Mar 28, 2008 4:28 pm - Voted 10/10

RV Comments ?

Reads much better. Thanks.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 28, 2008 5:14 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: RV Comments ?

You're right; personal views really don't belong on a page that's meant to be informative. I edited the remarks to keep the facts and skip the editorializing.

Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Mar 29, 2008 3:05 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Bob, nice page

Thanks, Larry. It's too bad things didn't work out with getting together that Saturday morning; I hope things worked out for you. I ended up climbing Manly Beacon while my wife hiked down Gower Gulch. Then I drove over to Golden Canyon and picked her up. Now I can finally say I picked up a chick in the mountains!

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Checkerboard Mesa' main page