Hawk Mountain Comments

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
WoundedKnee

WoundedKnee - May 12, 2010 12:08 am - Voted 10/10

Rangers

Hi Sarah,

Back in the southeast? Anyway, Hawk Mountain is often used by the army for Ranger training. I saw a couple of them at the top when I did a side trip off the AT a few years back. That might have something to do with the G23 mark you found...

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - May 12, 2010 10:12 am - Hasn't voted

Re: Rangers

Hey WK,

Yeah, I figure it will take 20 years or so, but I'm beginning to section-hike the AT NoBo. It's a fun project. Of course, I can't just hike on a trail, for heaven's sake. I've got to hit peaks on the way. You understand...

Thanks for the note about the Army Rangers training. I'll add a comment to the page about this. An old Special Forces local was on the summit during our visit and shared some interesting details about the G-23, etc., but - no one seems to have a fully clear story and I cannot find any online documentation for an explanation... Hmmm...

Sarah

ranjef360 - Jul 26, 2011 3:27 pm - Hasn't voted

Flights

Back in the '70's when the trail crossed the summit and skirted the nearby field, Army helicopters used the field to practice toch and go landings. I was camped at the edge of the field one evening when a Chinook and a Huey showed up. I went there today for the first time since they moved the trail. You can almost drive to the summit, now! The numbers do seem to line up with the approach they were using that night. I had never seen them before. I'm sure someone from Camp Merrill could confirm their utility. Lot of Hummers on the FS roads today....

Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Jul 29, 2011 4:46 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Flights

Thanks for the note. Neat to hear a local voice on this matter. I am on the road for business travel at the moment, but when I'm back I will update the page with some of your input.

Any other Hawk Mtn local information you care to share?
Sarah

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Return to 'Hawk Mountain' main page