Lookout Peak Comments

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Bob Sihler

Bob Sihler - Sep 3, 2008 6:56 pm - Voted 10/10

Glad to see this page

I always thought it odd that such an accessible peak wasn't on SP. I'm also glad to know that the route from Ophir Pass works, as that is the way I have always considered when thinking about my next trip to the San Juans.

Very good page again.

ktimm

ktimm - Sep 4, 2008 12:59 pm - Hasn't voted

great

I had thought about that peak for awhile. Is one of the pics taken from 13510 near Columbine pass ? I've been interested in that peak as well but have not did it yet.

John Kirk

John Kirk - Sep 4, 2008 1:56 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: great

Here is a shot taken from the summit of "T 11" (the 13510 peak) looking toward lookout (not the best photo, but shows what you're referring to):

http://www.summitpost.org/view_object.php?object_id=439010

There are a couple shots taken from 13159, which is a better vantage point.

scotthsu

scotthsu - Aug 24, 2009 11:36 am - Hasn't voted

sneffels range?

I don't think "Sneffels Range" should be a parent to this page, as this peak is quite a ways south of the Sneffels Range.

John Kirk

John Kirk - Aug 26, 2009 11:58 am - Hasn't voted

Re: sneffels range?

Please read the description of what the Sneffels Range encompasses on the Sneffels Range Page.

scotthsu

scotthsu - Aug 26, 2009 12:20 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: sneffels range?

Thanks for pointing me to the description. I can appreciate your choice of Ophir Pass as the southern boundary, but I'm wondering why you didn't choose one of the passes east of Telluride (e.g., Imogene Pass or Black Bear Pass) as the boundary. My natural inclination is to think of the Sneffels Range as the main east-west range anchored by Sneffels, but apparently you believe that's too narrow a definition?

John Kirk

John Kirk - Sep 1, 2009 1:07 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: sneffels range?

I tend to agree that the east-west sprawl is what most would consider the full extent of the Sneffels Range. My issue is what is the name for the range between Ophir Pass and Imogene/BlackBear? I opted to use the lowest saddle as the criteria for range boundary instead of having the issue of peaks that belong to no range at all.

scotthsu

scotthsu - Sep 2, 2009 10:17 am - Hasn't voted

Re: sneffels range?

The Rosebrough book "Climbing Colorado's San Juan Mountains" has a "Silverton West Group" in which he includes the Ice Lakes Basin peaks and also S. Lookout, but these peaks are all south of Ophir. It seems like the range between Ophir and Imogene Passes needs a name.

Viewing: 1-8 of 8
Return to 'Lookout Peak' main page