Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Klenke

Klenke - Dec 10, 2006 11:14 pm - Voted 10/10

Quickest Route

Hey Dean, I was wondering when you were going to put up a page for Purcell.

You say something about a shortcut route not being a desirable route to access the peak. I'm not sure why it would not be desirable. It took me something like 45 minutes from here where the road is bermed (parking). I walked the reasonable road to here (20 minutes) then went up the rock slide/grass area visible on the map and in the signature shot (my shot from Whalehead Ridge) to meet the trail (35 minutes), then 10 more minutes up the trail to the top. Total gain = ~1000 ft. Total distance = 1-1.4 miles. Difficulty = Class 2 (in the rock slide area). The route up from Davis Creek is twice as long with twice as much gain and with no views. The road walk on the west side provides excellent views.

Also, a link you might like to show: http://www.nwhiker.com/GPNFHike06.html.

Paul

Dean

Dean - Dec 10, 2006 11:25 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Quickest Route

The road up was blocked by a huge log and so we couldn't go up the shortcut way. The ranger back at Randle had said they might not get the road cleared for another month or so it wasn't available to us. I need to correct the "not desirable" aspect and if you'd like to, you could put up the route you went in on. That'd help this page. Also any pics you have would be a plus since we did a lot of our hike in the rain.

P.S. check out my corrected "short cut" commentary, it is a lot clearer. Thanks for the Trail link, that is a neat resource.

hgrapid

hgrapid - Dec 11, 2006 2:32 am - Hasn't voted

Was this the mountain in the movie "Roxanne"?

This looks like the move in the Steve Martin pic from 1987

ericnoel

ericnoel - Dec 11, 2006 5:48 am - Voted 10/10

Purcell

A nice page Dean. I especially like the Davis waterfall, quite pleasant looking.

I haven't look at the map at all or the page in detail but would a snowshoe option, either directly or using the road be feasible?

cp0915

cp0915 - Dec 11, 2006 2:58 pm - Voted 10/10

How can I not love this page?

The mountain's got my last name...

Dean

Dean - Dec 11, 2006 3:04 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: How can I not love this page?

I knew it had a familiar ring to it. Probably named after one of your relatives, Sir Cedric Purcell who singlehandedly brought Starbucks coffee to the locals. Hey, Courtney, you now must put this one on your "VIP" list. : )

Viewing: 1-6 of 6
Return to 'Purcell Mountain (WA)' main page