Viewing: 1-7 of 7
cp0915

cp0915 - Jun 9, 2010 10:08 am - Voted 10/10

Obscurity

I love it!

goofball

goofball - Jun 9, 2010 8:50 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: No map!

Oh for goodness sakes... Look at an atlas and find Rachel, NV, along hwy 375 (the extraterrestrial hwy) in south central NV, north of Las Vegas. Then get a Nevada Road & Recreation Atlas/Gazetteer and find the proper quad. I took the Shadow Road just south east of Rachel, to the Joe Barney Pass road, then the roads are not named, although there are no road signs anywhere anyway even though they are named in the atlas. The Cottonwood (Davis) ranch is marked in the atlas though, just aim for it. Consider it part of the fun ! There are web based topo maps that will give you lat/long as well, if you use gps.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - May 17, 2011 7:25 pm - Voted 10/10

wilderness boundaries

The actual Quinn Canyon Wilderness is to the north! It took me an hour of searching, but I finally found this:
Wilderness Map

You were never in the wilderness, just the Humboldt National Forest!

goofball

goofball - May 22, 2011 2:09 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: wilderness boundaries

Oh no !

Looks like the wilderness boundary might lie along part of the ridge crest that includes the Quinn Canyon Range high point, but can't be certain based on that low quality map.

Regardless of being in or out of the wilderness boundary, it was a great area to visit.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - May 23, 2011 10:05 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: wilderness boundaries

I mapped out against the map, and it all seems to be north of your area. Note they say the highest point in the wilderness is ~9500'! I want to go there soon, but have been waylaid by kidney stones. Looks like one of the neatest places in southern NV.

goofball

goofball - May 24, 2011 1:02 am - Hasn't voted

Re: wilderness boundaries

oooooh... kidney stones. ouch. i hope you get "passed" those soon. i'm sorry. thats not funny. my brother had kidney stones and evidently it was not fun at all. hope you're over them soon.

the forest service seem split on the elevation tho, at one point defining elevation ranges as - Elevation: 6,725 - 9,403 feet

but then saying - Extreme isolation defines Quinn Canyon, a remote central Nevada wilderness. From the main ridgeline of the area, CRESTING AT MORE THAN 10,000 FEET, many smaller ridges and narrow canyons extend out east and west.

unless that second blurb in the body is remarking on teh entire range itself, not just the confines of the wilderness.

MoapaPk

MoapaPk - May 16, 2012 7:58 pm - Voted 10/10

resolution

There is a 10181 peak just N of the highpoint, within the wilderness. There is a craggy 10041' peak N of that, within tne wilderness. The 10185' peak (to the S) sits right on the boundary.
quinn boundary

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Return to 'Quinn Canyon Range highpoint ' main page